How hard can it be? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How hard can it be?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 09-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

How hard can it be?

Ok guys, more than likely I am going to be getting an entire parts jeep for some miscellaneous big parts and spares of others, it's a '99 and I already have my project which is a 2000, unfortunately body wise my 2000 is in better shape or I would be building up the 99. However, I want to swap out the bad of the 2000, with the good from the '99 (LPD30, 0331 head, etc.) My main question is how hard is it going to be to swap out the head and other major engine components from the '99 to my 2000? I will have the whole XJ, so I should have all the necessary parts, correct? So, in order to get rid of the lpd30 thats easy, take it out and throw in the hpd30, simple, but as for engine components, in order to get rid of the infamous 0331 (which hasnt given me any guff, this is just preventative) I would have to swap out the head (obviously) any sensors on it that differ from the other, along with the coil rail for the distributor system from the '99, and more than likely the computer, which means I can probably get rid of the 1 billion sensor exhaust thats on it now. Is this making any sense? Any input would be helpful.

JerpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe its too much text, I'll try something else.
26710741.jpg  
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What does your state have in the way of emissions/inspections (assuming this is going to be licensed/driven on the road)? What you are proposing is very doable, and while you would be able to swap the emission systems from the '99 which would at least be an attempt to stay legal, it probably wouldn't actually be legal to the letter of the law. So that part would depend on state and local laws. But mechanically and electrically, there's no reason I know of that you can't just swap all the emissions related components on the '99 to the '00 (this would include the ECU). Just a matter of legality and whether or not that matters to you.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the input, as for the legality of it, I am unsure. But I am honestly not too worried, if the 1999's are cruising around with that emissions system and be legal why cant my 2000? Right? And if it comes down to inspection I am really not worried, the guy that does our vehicle is a family friend and he overlooks minor things if he has to. But back to the point, so it should be a relatively easy swap if I have an entire 99' to take parts from? It seems like it should be straight forward enough.
Unread 09-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerpXJ View Post
Thanks for the input, as for the legality of it, I am unsure. But I am honestly not too worried, if the 1999's are cruising around with that emissions system and be legal why cant my 2000? Right? And if it comes down to inspection I am really not worried, the guy that does our vehicle is a family friend and he overlooks minor things if he has to. But back to the point, so it should be a relatively easy swap if I have an entire 99' to take parts from? It seems like it should be straight forward enough.
Back to legality, emissions laws don't particularly make sense, and just because you have emissions equipment from one year doesn't mean putting it on another year will be legal (while that seems like it should be fine, especially given how similar those two years of the XJ are so close, in most cases it is not, especially when you are putting older equipment on a newer vehicle). I would strongly suggest making sure your friend can/will pass it before spending the time converting things and then being unable to get it licensed.

But yes, having a complete donor vehicle should reduce headaches and make sure you have everything you need (FWIW, you should be able to swap the entire '99 onto/into the '00, so mixing and matching with complete vehicles should be fine for you once you figure out which pieces you need). I'd make sure you make notes anyplace you start changing wiring though, since colors are usually different between years, and if you ever have to go back and troubleshoot anything, knowing which year wiring diagram to look at is going to come in handy.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, thanks for the insight. I mean I'm just getting the parts jeep for the axles and other miscellaneous stuff, but I figured if I could get rid of the 0331 head before it had a chance to fail, I would be doing myself a favor.
Unread 09-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Alright, thanks for the insight. I mean I'm just getting the parts jeep for the axles and other miscellaneous stuff, but I figured if I could get rid of the 0331 head before it had a chance to fail, I would be doing myself a favor.
It seems quite doable, but I personally wouldn't mess with it. Remember that bad new travels fast. OK, so jeep sold 300,000 (I made that number up) heads with casting #331. How many have failed....a few hundred or even a few thousand? I'd take my chances and drive what I had. Put the spare head in your garage for that 1 in 300 chance of a rainy day, but don't throw money at it because someone else had a problem.
Unread 09-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Like I said, the head has given me no trouble thus far, my XJ has around 130,000 on it, so it probably would be dead by now if it was going to fail, especially after how the P.O. treated it.
Unread 09-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If the 0331 head really concerns you, part out the 99 and buy a good used 2002+ TUPY 0331 head from a Wrangler or Grand Cherokee. The TUPY 0331 head is updated to prevent cracking.

Attempting to swap emissions systems or computers from 99 to 2000-01 is more trouble than it is worth.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So an 02+ 0331 head is just a direct swap? I will probably go that route if I ever feel the need to get rid of the original, the 99 wasnt really all I expected so its probably not happening.
Unread 09-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So an 02+ 0331 head is just a direct swap?
Yes.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe its too much text, I'll try something else.
OMG, I love that. I am a sucker for spongebob.

FWIW my 2000 "0331" head has given me no problems. So I agree with above that not all mean eminent failure.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #13
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I figured as much since it hasnt given me any trouble so far, plus with the vehicles I grew up driving I have formed a habit of watching my gauges quite often.

Tags
4.0 swap , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.