How to get rear view mirror to stay on? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How to get rear view mirror to stay on?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How to get rear view mirror to stay on?

I can't get my rear view mirror to stay on. I'm on my second adhesive kit in the last 2 months and the mirror won't stay on. I follow the instructions, I clean the area, I apply the base and let it set over night before attaching the mirror...what gives?

I've tried two different brands.

How can I make my rear view mirror stay put?

samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Use a razor blade to scrape the are clean of debris, clean it well with alchohol, apply adheisive and base, push firmly, let sit overnight, attach mirror. Mine has been on for several years and still strong. Be sure to scrape the back of the base well with the razor blade and clean it very good also.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

$5 from auto store. Came with sandpaper and a 2-part cement mix to glue the mirror on.
Razor blade then sand down the metal peice to get the old glue off.

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
VegasJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A glass shop. I have paid 5 bucks once or twice and a free install a couple times. Nothing works better then what they are using..... period!
Unread 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think I may try a glass shop, because I've done the $5 auto store fixes. Didn't end up with a glue/cement mixture...but I wiped down the area with alcohol, used a razor blade on the glass and on the base, applied cement, let it sit with pressure, then let it sit for an entire day, then applied the mirror. Twice...

Fell off both times
Unread 07-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well if the Jeep is setting in the +100degree sunny weather we are all having it might be worth the shop fix.

Unread 07-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey it says TJ why are we in the Cherokee forum?
Wrangler FTW!

Unread 07-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I'd say the hot weather has alot to do with it.

And I know it says Wrangler...but I drive an XJ too!!
Unread 07-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
ThadLS

Sand the glass where you're gonna re stick it. Glue the metal piece back on and leave it over night. Then put it back on
ThadLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
andywitzz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

5min epoxy does the job. Play with the mix long enough until it's quite sticky otherwise you'll be there for a while holding it up
andywitzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got it put back on today. I work for a dealership and our windshield guys hooked me up and put it on for me for free.

Like a few have said here, they told me that one of the keys is to sand the base before applying any of the adhesive.
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
carenza
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I just use super glue hasnt failed me yet. I have an auto dimming gentex mirror from a durango works great and looks great in an XJ
carenza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #13
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I had this done for free at the local glass shop. The idiot glued the whole mirror on, I couldn't get it off the tab/windshield, then a few months later it fell off again. Best part was yet to come, all the extra glue he used caused the windsheild to crack when we got snow this past winter. You can see the crack starts at the excess glue and runs straight down the middle of the windshield.
Veeb0rg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You shouldn't try and glue a mirror tabe on more then 2 times if that doesn't hold it's best to get a new windshield
1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock
JeepZJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.