how to fix leaking overflow tank? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > how to fix leaking overflow tank?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-31-2005, 01:08 PM   #1
eas020223

how to fix leaking overflow tank?

I have a 1989 cherokee i just noticed that the overflow tank has a small leak i thought it was the oper heater hose but it coming from the bottle right below it i tried some epoxy but i can see it pushing off. Is there anything out there to seel it or do i need to spend the 60$ for a new one?? The crack cant be very big?? How about black RTV???

eas020223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
dynamite44

i've gotten creative in the past when i didn't have the money to replace a whole overflow tank. what i did was i took the tank out of the truck, then let it dry out completely, then took a heat gun (a hair drier would work, just might take a little longer) and heated up the plastic. once it was a little soft, i took a putty knife and smoothed the plastic where the crack was. it worked for me, it'll probably work for you. good luck!
dynamite44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
dschio

I did kind of the same thing a few years back on my 88; except I used a soldering iron to just melt the crack togther. Actuall worked for a while. But don't forget that this tank is not just an overflow tank, it is part of the pressurized coolant system (at least is was in the 88), so when the crack finally does let go completely (and it will), your not going anywhere. The 60 bucks now might beat a tow later.
dschio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
jeepfreak04

Quote:
Originally Posted by eas020223
I have a 1989 cherokee i just noticed that the overflow tank has a small leak i thought it was the oper heater hose but it coming from the bottle right below it i tried some epoxy but i can see it pushing off. Is there anything out there to seel it or do i need to spend the 60$ for a new one?? The crack cant be very big?? How about black RTV???

Its only 50.00 to replace the overflow bottle I had to replace mine a little while back and its worth doing as mine was always getting airlocks in the cooling system till i replaced it.food for thought.
jeepfreak04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #5
phaeton

I had the same problem and I just replaced the bottle on my 88 Comanche about 20 minutes ago. I'm pretty sure the bottle was the original one. The new one I got is/was redesigned a little and the cap is also totally different.

Now that I look at the old bottle i can see cracks inside the botttom of the bottle and being that it is presurized i don't think mine would have lasted much longer.
phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.