How to fix driver's door hinge - pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How to fix driver's door hinge - pics

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 10-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
Kornik
Not so newbie :-)

How to fix driver's door hinge - pics

Finaly it's time to fix my door's hinge. I took out the fender to properly align them and here is what I saw:

The question is - how to fix it the best way? I assume simply welding it aroung may be not eunoght, but the metal above and below the hinge place looks like sheet of paper :-(

Kornik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
joe2feathers

time to go doorless....dam thats nasty lookin ...good luck
Unread 10-19-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

The way a pro at a body shop would do this is as follows:

1. remove door hinge from door
2. clean old sheet metal off body side of hinge
3. cut out jagged hole in body, and weld in new flat panel in the area (probably of heavier guage than original
4. reinstall hinge on door, and weld body side to newly installed panel
5. paint, and reinstall fender
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
xj BMX xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

wow your wors off than i am my hinges we allredy welded on once by the PO he did it rong and *****ed up evry thing..... id say just tack it in place to see if ligns up straight then weld as much as you can of the hing back on the just ad some steel around it to help brace it

*edit* or doo what he said
Unread 10-20-2006, 05:39 AM   #5
Kornik

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2feathers
time to go doorless....dam thats nasty lookin ...good luck
I can't - it's my DD :-) at least untill I buy ZJ
Unread 10-20-2006, 05:44 AM   #6
Kornik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff
The way a pro at a body shop would do this is as follows:

1. remove door hinge from door
Already done as you can see in the pictures - actually I was thinking about taking the door off too, but I'm a little affraid if I'll be able to align it back toegether - now the lower hinge is stabilizing everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff
2. clean old sheet metal off body side of hinge
3. cut out jagged hole in body, and weld in new flat panel in the area (probably of heavier guage than original
And here is the problem - the pilar panel to which the hinge is welded to is somehow deeper then the rest of the pilar - so I think I have to put this new piece of steel underneath... We'll see.
Unread 10-20-2006, 06:57 AM   #7
rklessdriver

If you can get a peice of heavier gauge steel in behind it, or cut the entire damaged section out and just replace it, that would be your best bet to fix it right.
Will
89-The A class terror, My Mud Bogg only rig. Blue. 34-9.50 TSLs, 3' Rough Country lift, stock 4.0L Rinnex, AW4 with Jones V-force muffler and turndown 2.5 exhaust . 8.8 with 3.73's and trac loc LSD. Dana 30 with 3.55's open. 2.64 ratio transfer from an 85 2.8L Cherokee (NP242 blew up and this one was available and fit the spline). Rules A class at Little Doo Mud Bogg. 260,000 miles still runs strong but blows oil every freaking where.

96-My daily driver. Black. 31-10.50 Bridgestone At's, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift, Pro Shocks WB series shocks. 4.0L HO, AW4 NP242. Pace Setter header, Jones V-Force Muffler, Pypes high flow mini cat, full 3" exhaust. 8.8 with 3.73's and trac loc LSD. Dana 30 with 3.73's and power loc LSD. TFS phenolic spacer, 60mm strait TB, K&N. JCB stage 2 bumpers are in the mail. Working on a 4.7L stroker as this one just turned 200,000 miles.

95- Girls DD. Red. 30-9.50 Toyo Open Country AT's. No lift. 4.0L HO, AW4, NP242. 2.5 cat back exhaust with Jones V-Force muffler. Dana 30/35 3.55's open. Working on a Crysler 8.25 with trac lock and a 2' lift for her this winter.
rklessdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2006, 07:16 AM   #8
Power5
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Keep the door attached to the hinge. Make sure the bottom hinge is still attached to the door also. With the door shut, it should be fairly well lined up. Then you do your welding. Should have no alignment problems that way.
Unread 10-20-2006, 08:12 AM   #9
Kornik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power5
Keep the door attached to the hinge. Make sure the bottom hinge is still attached to the door also. With the door shut, it should be fairly well lined up. Then you do your welding. Should have no alignment problems that way.
That's the plan - I'll try to put some steel beyond the hole and weld everything through making some kind of sandwitch - steel plate, pilar, hinge.

One more thing - what do you guys think about drilling one or two bores in center of the hinge and weld it through them too?

BTW. I'm surprised how it's is screewed - such a heavy hing is literaly spot weldet to such a thin steel :-(
Unread 10-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
jcaddyer

This is definitly an XJ problem. My XJ needs some welding around that door hinge. My sister in-laws XJ looks like yours.
jcaddyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2006, 08:49 AM   #11
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornik
That's the plan - I'll try to put some steel beyond the hole and weld everything through making some kind of sandwitch - steel plate, pilar, hinge.

One more thing - what do you guys think about drilling one or two bores in center of the hinge and weld it through them too?

BTW. I'm surprised how it's is screewed - such a heavy hing is literaly spot weldet to such a thin steel :-(
The way to reweld the door hinge so it does not tear out again is to use base metal on the body that is thicker than OEM. This means cutting out the entire area of thin metal where the old hinge welds were, and welding in (so it's in the same plane as the original metal) new, THICKER metal. The weld line for this thicker metal is considerably outside the line where the hinge joins the pillar, thereby spreading the load out over a broader area of the pillar.

If this method is done, then boring holes inside wont' be necessary, nor beneficial.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
SteelersFan745
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj BMX xj
wow your wors off than i am my hinges we allredy welded on once by the PO he did it rong and *****ed up evry thing..... id say just tack it in place to see if ligns up straight then weld as much as you can of the hing back on the just ad some steel around it to help brace it

*edit* or doo what he said
Mine has the same problem. The hinge came off and the PO took it to a shop and they welded it on crooked. Now there's a big gap between the fender and the front of the driver's door; the back of the driver's door touches the rear door. There's also a gap at the top of the door and it leaks when it rains.
Unread 10-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #13
xj BMX xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan745
Mine has the same problem. The hinge came off and the PO took it to a shop and they welded it on crooked. Now there's a big gap between the fender and the front of the driver's door; the back of the driver's door touches the rear door. There's also a gap at the top of the door and it leaks when it rains.
mine smacks the jeep since mines 2 door. but it starting to rust there now so i guess I'm gonna have a black spot there since i dint want there to be bare metal exposed through the winer
Unread 10-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #14
madrabbitt

i had mine welded.
Previous owner took advantage of the dealership fixing it the first time, and the fix held on both doors... but i did something stupid...
i was backing out of the driveway, had the door slightly open, and it cought the corner of my mom's van, which snapped one weld and pushed the door into the fender damaging both.

My mechanic welded and did the body work for me when he was doing the bodywork on the rear from the wreck.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2006, 01:30 PM   #15
SmittysXJ

Tacking does not work it needs a good solid weld at least a couple times. I paid the body shop 70 bucks to put mine back on and it still has a crack but it doesn't drop down like it used to because it was about to fall off. I dunno why our Xj's door keep wanting to fall off.
SmittysXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.