How to find audio grounding problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How to find audio grounding problem?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
leichte

How to find audio grounding problem?

I have an 87 Laredo and recently have had some radio issues.

I was getting a soft whine when the radio was on. The whine would increase with acceleration. Normal sound was coming from the speakers but the whine was as well.

Shortly after that there was no longer sound coming from the speakers. The radio was on and working but no sound. Every so often I could get sound for a few minutes if I moved the cables/wires on the back of the head but it never lasted. I do get a dull audio sound if I touch on of the rca cables on the back of the head or when I shut the radio off but still no other sound. When the unit is on, it is dead silent.

I figure there is a grounding issue somewhere but I have no idea how to locate or identify it. Can someone give me some guidance? I'd rather not take it to a car audio place if I can help it. Electrical/audio is not my thing.

Thanks for the help!

leichte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Grab a multimeter and set it to ohms. Start probing ground points and wires looking for resistance to the battery negative. There should be none.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
residentg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This will get rid of the whine:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_003S15A...t.html?tp=3723
residentg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio , radio , short , speaker , wires

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.