How do you install shims? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How do you install shims?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-08-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
Xride

How do you install shims?

I have a pair of 2.5 degree shims that I wanted to use with my 3" EMU lift, but how do you install them?

I know they go under the spring to tilt the axel so the ds is straighter.
and i figure that the little nub on the bottom of the spring goes into the hole in the middle, but then that little nub doesnt go into the hole on the leaf perch on the axel...

I dont get it. am I missing something?

Unread 12-08-2005, 09:05 AM   #2
dakotus

you need to remove the bolt (and that nub) once that center bolt is removed, you can attach the shim to the leaves, and then reattach the bolt. The shims should have came with longer center bolts to accomodate for the added thickness of the shim.
Unread 12-08-2005, 09:06 AM   #3
fryed_1

I drilled mine out to fit the nub
fryed_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
Xride

It has longer bolts, althought the one in the emu leafs are pretty long already.
I'll have to have a look again because it seemed to me that the hole in the shim was bigger then the nub.
Unread 12-08-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
Xride

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryed_1
I drilled mine out to fit the nub

wouldnt that mean the leaf isnt secured as well because the nub cant fit into the hole on the axel?
Unread 12-08-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
wipedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride
wouldnt that mean the leaf isnt secured as well because the nub cant fit into the hole on the axel?
It needs to fit in the hole on the mounting plate... or dont put it on if it doesn't. Your bolt should fit in there though if its the right one... oh.. and whats an "axel" is that axel foley i hear?

6 in lift, 35" Interco Trxus MT's, long armed, Bushwacker cut-out flares, Skyjacker coils(powdercoated grey), RE 4.5 extreme duty leaf packs, Tera 1.5in shackles, AJ's Superrails, AA SYE, TW DS, Blacked out all around. and a buncha RE trackbar stuff, and the infamous ZJ tierod :)
wipedawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2005, 09:23 AM   #7
Xride

axle
left hand is faster sometimes, I type in word too much, and it autocorrects as I go, so I dont notice most of the time.
Unread 12-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #8
fryed_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride
What I did was use a 1/2" steel block. I got it with an extra tall and wide nub that would sit into the spring pad. I drilled the shim out to fit under the block's nub, then the spring tab sat into the hole on the block. I drilled out the new spring pad slightly to fit securely the block's nub. They are tight enough I needed a hammer to press them onto the springpad and the leaf onto the block. Haven't had a single problem with it yet.

So in short, the nub on the 1/2 block is taller than the shim. So the nub sticks through the shim and seats into the spring perch.
fryed_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.