How do I tell if I have a limited slip differential? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How do I tell if I have a limited slip differential?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 11-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

the only way to know what differential you have is to take off the cover and look at it. The spin test only works for certain types of differentials which are not worn out.

foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
the only way to know what differential you have is to take off the cover and look at it. The spin test only works for certain types of differentials which are not worn out.
Makes sense. What weight and how much oil do I need for Dana 35?
who_datjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Taken directly from the YJ FAQ (frequently asked questions):

What fluids do I use and how much do I put in my Jeep?
*Axles:
- Gear oil - 80 weight for light duty and normally cooler climates - 90w120 weight for heavy duty and normally warmer climates Note: Some rear axles are equiped with factory posi - a limited slip additive must be put in with the gear oil to extend and protect the limited slip action
Dana 30 = 2.5 pints
Dana 35 = 3.5 pints
Dana 44 = 4.0 pints

I use 75w90 as I recall.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.