how do i break in my new engine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > how do i break in my new engine?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
brettgorringe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

how do i break in my new engine?

So my 01 xj had low to none oil pressure do to bad main and rod bearings. Also do to the cracked head witch let violent into the oil. Fixed the head but that's it. So after procrastination it started knolking really bad so I pulled the oi. pan off and noticed that 3 of my rod connections were loose one of them really loose. So I took them off to inspect the journals and stuff and I couldent find the bearing haha
. What was left of it was fuesed together into one solid piese so I finally got it off and its scratched up way bad. You can feel big bumps with your thumb nail. Solo after going over all the cost its more with it to buy a new proformance engine from auto zone. I hear its a good engine with a 3 year warranty. I want any advice I can get on the removal and install off the engine. And break in stuff??

brettgorringe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
TCrow2

All I know about breaking in an engine is to fluctuate your speed every few minutes on the highway. Like don't just cruise at 65 the whole time.
TCrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
brettgorringe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Really that's weird. Do you know why
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Get used engine at junkyard.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
brettgorringe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That's not what I asked haha funny
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
jminty
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ive also heard that working the engine but not revving it too high is good procedure. Like pulling a trailer around from the first time you drive it. Apparently initial break in happens in the first few miles.
jminty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Let me see if I got this straight... You have a Jeep with a destroyed engine. You don't have a new engine, or even a plan to fix the old engine. And you're worried about how to break in a new/rebuilt engine?

First things first, eh?
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
88_yj

When you install the new engine first startup you will have to rev it up to 2000-2500 and hold it for close to 30 mins to break in the cam and rings. It's best to change Rpms every 5 mins keeping it between 2000-2500.

Before you install the new distributor you need to make sure and prime the oil pump otherwise the life of your bearings is decreased by 75%

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
88_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
88_yj

Make sure you take lots of pictures as you tear it down so you have something to look back at when you can't remember where a plug goes or bracket. And place all bolts in separate ziplock bags labeling the bag

Unread 09-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
brettgorringe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

U have the new engine and almost the old one out. Iv heard that I have go drive no faster then 50mph for the first like 5000 miles or something us that true?
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
brettgorringe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

And I've also heard I have to change the oil at 500 then 1000 then 3000 miles
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
88_yj

For the first 5000 your not suppose to drive it long distances at a steady speed and you will need to change the oil at 500 1000 and then every 3000. You need to change the oil more often because a new engine will have a little more metal in the oil from it breaking in.

Unread 09-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettgorringe View Post
And I've also heard I have to change the oil at 500 then 1000 then 3000 miles
Have you bothered to search the internet to see if you can find break-in procedures?

Most camshaft manufacturers have break-in procedures for their canshafts/lifters, but little is said about piston ring break-in, which is totally different. You must do both by the book or you'll have a basket case on your hands in about 1,000 miles.

You'll get many different answers on the forum(s) on how to do it, most of which are way off base.

"The blind lead the blind? Shall they not both fall into the ditch."

Check the internet out and come back with a detailed description on what the procedures are so that we all don't fall into the ditch.
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
raypla
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I heard your supposed to drive it like you stole it , or else it'll never go right.
99 XJ 4.0 D30 29sp 8.25, IRO TB & HD Tie Rod, Kellys WIP main 5 wires 1AWG http://www.kelleyswip.com/price.html, Banks header, Stainless Magnaflow catback, cat, 2" OME lift, JC1B Leafs, OME sports, JKS discos, 30X9.5X15 BFG AT's, Fastman 62mmTB, Cibie E-codes with 55/60 Osram bulbs, Putco harness=JUNK!!, Alpine 7563 Deck, PWX 10" Cubby, JBL GTI 180.2 400wX1 rms, 6.5 Infinity Perfects , front PWX 6.5, Infinity ref amp 111wX4 rms, Optima Yellow, 100 sqft of http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier/
raypla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.