Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

How to disable automatic door locks

22K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  FairlanePhil 
#1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine owns a 1998 Cherokee and she is having problems with her automatic door locks. Sometimes they don't work at all, other times they lock when you don't want them to, etc, etc.
I told her that there is probably a fuse you can pull to disable the system altogether. She will then have to lock and unlock the doors manually which she doesn't have a problem with.
I'll probably get volunteered to pull the fuse one of these days..
My questions are.... Where is the fuse block on this vehicle, and does this particular fuse control any other functions in the car.
Or is there an easier way to disable this function..???
She doesn't have the owners manual, or I would just look it up....

#2 ·
Fuse Panel Should be on the driver side . Right were the drivers left foot would be.

Owners Manuel should tell you what fuse does what and it might even be written on the cover.. I cannot remember to be honest..

#13 ·
I didnt realize the XJ came with a auto lock feature either.

I am wondering if people are saying auto lock (what I would call a system that locks when the vehicle gets to a certain speed, key goes into ignition, etc) vs electronic locks that have a key fob opener.

Or I could be wrong. :D

#6 · (Edited)
1997-2001 fuses are on the passenger side foot-well. For 1999, fuse 15 is Power Door Locks. XJ Cherokee only have switch operated power door locks. If the door locks are malfunctioning, there is a wiring problem, a Key-less Entry control module problem, or a driver door master switch problem.

Driver door wiring faults and master switch failures are very common, and easy to fix.

#7 ·
Agent 000 said:
As I seem to recall, Cherokee's do not have automatic door locks. My 2001 Sport didn't have them, and my current 1998 Classic doesn't have them.
:brickwall you just got unlucky! :laugh:

#8 ·
The auto door locks are controled by the BCM, or body control module and they can be dissabled if desired by someone with a scan tool. Isn't the world a better place now that instead of a switch, a wire, and a light bulb that we now have a computer to control everything? What a crock.

#9 ·
I didn't know they had automatic locks. I don't think mine does either, atleast they never automatically lock.

#10 ·
SmrtJustin said:
I didn't know they had automatic locks. I don't think mine does either, atleast they never automatically lock.
This 1998 Cherokee definately has the auto door lock.
I'm not sure if there is a time delay before they lock or whether they lock at a certain speed or just how they work.
Maybe somebody could explain it to me.

#11 ·
When your done, come look at mine. Neither of my back doors(4door) pay any attention to the remote, the front doors and hatch lock and unlock normally. I never even thought to check my back doors(lol). I had been using the remote to lock my doors since I got the truck and never knew the two rear doors were staying unlocked. Luckily nothing ever got stolen.

#14 ·
XJ Cherokee do not have speed sensitive auto locks. XJ Cherokee do not have a BCM. They do have power door locks and optional key-less entry.

It is possible that some aftermarket alarm systems, remotes starts, or key-less entry may have auto locking as a feature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.