Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

How concerned should I be with this engine noise?

429 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mschi772 
#1 ·
2000 XJ, 4.0L.

I've noticed my engine making some odd noise when it first cranks over. The noise happens every once in a while, sometimes briefly (as in the video), sometimes it lasts 5-7 seconds.
No apparent head gasket issues, though the engine does drink some oil (no leak found anywhere outside the engine), about half a quart every couple of weeks.

The noise is not isolated to cold starts only: I've had it happen a couple times on hot starts.

It sounds like fast piston slap to me, or fast rod knock, but obviously can't say for sure.

Any ideas on what is making the noise, or how concerned I should be with it? It runs fine, otherwise (though it does have piston slap until it warms up, like many of these engines).

EDIT: sorry, can't get the video to load for whatever reason. I'll upload it from my computer later this afternoon.

#2 ·
Ha, interesting combination of interests I found when I Googled you to see if I'd find a video on Youtube in the event you had it there but couldn't get it to work here for some reason. Found your photobucket and see you're a bit of a fish buff. Not my thing, but while I'm a Jeep geek, my girlfriend is a freshwater geek who happens to have among her many tanks and fish, an ancient blue ram that is currently outliving his former mate by about a bajillion years.

Anyway, I'll chime in if I can once your video is up.

#3 ·
haha, yea those were some OLD pictures from doing swaps back in Charlotte. Don't have the time for a tank right now (and they are real money pits).
I uploaded the video to photobucket and of course it's been over two hours and it's still not available. Here is the link for a youtube clip:

Sorry about the exhaust noise, but you should be able to hear the quick [and brief] noise I'm talking about as soon as it cranks.

Like I mentioned, sometimes it's brief like the in video, sometimes no noise at all is present. Then again, I've had it make that fast noise for several seconds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.