How to change a serpentine belt on a 1996 Cherokee in 70 steps and get plenty of exer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How to change a serpentine belt on a 1996 Cherokee in 70 steps and get plenty of exer

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 08-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

How to change a serpentine belt on a 1996 Cherokee in 70 steps and get plenty of exer

How to change a serpentine belt on a 1996 Cherokee in 70 steps and get plenty of exercise doing it.

1. Walk out to Jeep, unlock door and open hood.

2. Walk to front of Jeep, raise and prop hood open.

3. Look at the situation.

4. Notice that upper radiator hose is leaking slightly.

5. Walk to shed, get screwdriver.

6. Walk to Jeep, tighten hose clamps.

7. Walk to shed, drop off screwdriver and pick up Chiltons manual and new belt.

8. Walk into house and sit at desk to find and read section on changing serpentine belt.

9. Walk to shed, get 13mm socket and ratchet, as specified in Chiltons manual.

10. Walk to Jeep with tools, new belt and manual.

11. Notice that the label that has the belt routing diagram is missing, so walk to house to get Sharpie.

12. Walk to Jeep and draw sketch of belt route on the metal part above the radiator.

13. Look for power steering pump bolts as shown in Chiltorns manual, especially the adjusting bolt. Do not find the adjusting bolt.

14. Notice that the idler below the power steering pump has an adjustment bolt on it, not shown or referred to in Chiltons manual.

15. Try to put 13mm socket on bolt.

16. Walk to shed and trade 13mm socket for 15mm socket, extension and WD40.

17. Walk to Jeep and spray adjustment bolt behind bracket with WD40.

18. Back off the adjustment bolt, noticing that the idler pulley is not moving.

19. Retighten adjustment bolt.

20. Walk to shed to get 13mm open end wrench to loosen bolt in center of pulley.

21. Walk to Jeep with wrench.

22. Walk to shed to exchange 13mm open end wrench for entire wrench set in handy carrying pouch.

23. Walk to Jeep with pouch of wrenches.

24. Open pouch to find that it skips 15mm.

25. Walk to shed to exchange pouch for 15mm open end wrench.

26. Dig for wrench in other toolbox.

27. Walk to Jeep with 15mm wrench.

28. Try to break bolt in center of idler pulley loose.

29. Walk to shed to look for a pipe or something to use as a cheater bar for leverage.

30. Unbolt handle from floor jack and separate into two sections.

31. Walk to Jeep with the section of handle that will fit over the box end of wrench.

32. Find out that you canít fit the jack handle between the auxiliary fan shroud and the power steering pump pulley so toss jack handle aside.

33. Reef on bolt as hard as you can with short 15mm wrench.

34. Rest.

35. Reef on bolt as hard as you can with short 15mm wrench.

36. Rest

37. Reef on bolt as hard as you can with short 15mm wrench.

38. Loosen bolt two complete turns.

39. Using socket and ratchet, loosen adjustment bolt until belt is loose.

40. Remove old serpentine belt, pinching finger between power steering pump pulley and auxiliary fan shroud in the process.

41. Remove new belt from packaging sleeve and try to untwist it.

42. Untwist it again.

43. Hold old belt and new belt together, notice that old belt seems quite a bit longer than new one.

44. Examine old belt for any markings to indicate part number or size, but donít find any because theyíve all rubbed off long ago.

45. Decide to try to put it on anyway; if it doesnít fit you can always take it off, put the old one back on and drive back to the auto parts store you bought the belt from last year.

46. Try to thread new belt over all pulleys.

47. Wish you had a third hand.

48. Untwist slack part of belt.

49. Go underneath Jeep and put belt over crankshaft pulley.

50. Notice that antifreeze is dripping from front of engine, lower radiator hose and sway bar. More antifreeze than the loose upper radiator hose clamp should have accounted for. Hope your water pump isnít going out.

51. Get up, stand in front of Jeep, untwist slack part of belt again and try to put belt over alternator pulley from the top.

52. Notice that you missed one pulley in your drawing, the one between the A/C compressor and the alternator. It drives the fan.

53. Try to logically deduce which way the fan should turn, because it looks like the belt could take two different paths at this point.

54. Try to pull belt onto the fan pulley.

55. Remove belt from water pump pulley to allow enough slack to put belt on fan pulley.

56. Untwist belt again and put it back on A/C compressor pulley.

57. Hold belt on A/C compressor pulley with one hand while putting belt on fan pulley with the other.

58. Put belt back on alternator pulley again.

59. Put belt back on water pump pulley.

60. Using ratchet and socket, tighten adjusting bolt on idler pulley to tighten belt.

61. Check tension and tighten bolt in center of idler pulley with 15mm wrench.

62. Remove tools and abandoned Chiltons manual from engine bay.

63. Walk around to driverís door and start engine.

64. Walk back to front of Jeep and observe belt.

65. Hold hand behind fan to make sure air flow is correct, hoping you got it right and donít have to reroute the belt.

66. Put old belt into packaging sleeve to keep as spare.

67. Walk back to driverís door and shut off engine.

68. Walk to front, close hood, pick up tools, old belt, jack handle and Chiltons manual.

69. Walk to shed and replace tools and manual. Put old belt in parts box.

70. Decide to put jack handle back together and back on jack later. This will allow you to lose bolts in the meantime.

Total time to replace serpentine belt: 2 hours.

96XJ Sport 4.0 Auto CommandTrac, Chrys. 8.25, 1-3/4" BB, WARN HS9500 winch, WARN Body Armor front & rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. 30x9.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's. As of March 10, 2011, there are 205K miles on the clock and she's still good and strong!
CraigAllen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Scottmc01
1993 XJ Cherokee 

oh my....
30" Bighorns on V5's
Scottmc01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
XJohnnyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmc01
oh my....
Well said.

I am biting my tongue. If you can't say something nice...
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
ktmracer419
1997 XJ Cherokee 

yea, watch out for those 96's, they have the inferior serpentine belt design which requires 70 steps.
35" beadlocked km2's
3" midarmed
more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at
ktmracer419 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Kieffer87
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I sure hope you didn't actually walk back and fourth that many times.
Kieffer87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
GoldenOne
1998 ZJ 

Ouch.

I did my belt and changed my alternator in 45minutes last night.....but then again it want leaking coolant. Power steering pump/tensioner looks difficult, but once you loosen the correct 3 bolts and the tensioner bolt on the bottom of the p/s pump its popped right off for me.

Helps to have a beer before you start.....one while changing.....and one for after.
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

lol. we've all been there. don't care who you are, we all have been there...

great "writeup". will read again when i feel my life isn't going right
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

can u go back and take pics for me??

jk

nice "writeup"
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #9
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I was planning on changing my belt in the near future, but i think ill just let it go...
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigAllen
How to change a serpentine belt on a 1996 Cherokee in 70 steps and get plenty of exercise doing it.

1. Walk out to Jeep, unlock door and open hood.

2. Walk to front of Jeep, raise and prop hood open.

3. Look at the situation.

4. Notice that upper radiator hose is leaking slightly.

5. Walk to shed, get screwdriver.

6. Walk to Jeep, tighten hose clamps.

7. Walk to shed, drop off screwdriver and pick up Chiltons manual and new belt.

8. Walk into house and sit at desk to find and read section on changing serpentine belt.

9. Walk to shed, get 13mm socket and ratchet, as specified in Chiltons manual.

10. Walk to Jeep with tools, new belt and manual.

11. Notice that the label that has the belt routing diagram is missing, so walk to house to get Sharpie.

12. Walk to Jeep and draw sketch of belt route on the metal part above the radiator.

Been there, done that Wasn't any better on my '90 XJ - and the Chiltons manual was sort of

But you forgot one thing that would've made it go a little better: beer. You just can't do a job like this without a few, tasty, ice- cold beers

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2007, 02:56 PM   #11
motu1983
1989 XJ Cherokee 

wow..... only 2 hours?!?! that puts my 3 1/2 hours to shame...... but hey, its done, you didn't pay for labor, and you have that feeling of accomplishment that only comes from screwing up your vehicles yourself.
4.0, Stock everything, girlfriend's ride, Girly Purple/silver paint (Girlfriend's)
motu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Dude I can't believe you remembered all those steps. I can't even remember what I ate for breakfast this morning. Sounds like a fun time...thanks for the story.
74 Nova - 2" drop and disc conv. Sold.
My videos
tizzdizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

That was FUNNY. And most anyone who has ever worked on cars has a story (or more) of this type.

The part about drawing the belt diagram reminds me of the time my son and I changed the water pump on his F-150 w/302 V8. I forgot to draw a diagram of the belt before I took it off. We literally spent 20 minutes trying to figure out the belt routing--almost more time than we had spent actually swapping the water pump!
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #14
nascarnation
1997 XJ Cherokee 

nice job

I think a roller cabinet tool box would be a nice gift from Santa this Christmas

also when your brain is old like mine it's good to take a digital pic or two first to help getting it back together, LOL
nascarnation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #15
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

Thanks for the laugh.

First time I changed an XJ belt I broke the adjusting bolt. So I had an additional step of going to the junkyard for replacement bolt.

Changed a belt on my Subaru last night. After working on my various Jeeps over the years I was amazed how simple and rational a project it was. Took less than a dozen steps including opening beer.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.