how to change radiator? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > how to change radiator?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
medicbear
2007 JK Wrangler 

how to change radiator?

i dont have a service manual anyone know any write ups or how on how to do it? 96 with ac AT. i figure everyone says its not that hard so why pay a shop 90-120 labor plus coolant....with the money ill save i can get a decent new one vs a used one from pick and pull that i gotta hope doesnt leak

www.militaryjeepers.com come check us out
medicbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
95cherokee33s

Yeah its really not that hard. I am sure there is a write up somewhere on here. Basically you remove the battery, fan shroud, electric fan and the radiator cover (the top plastic piece over the radiator). Then just take the two tranny lines off and coolant hoses.
95cherokee33s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I did this within a month of buying my XJ because the stock piece was leaking and didn't have a single problem. I ordered a CSF 3 core, all metal radiator from DPG offroad for around $170 shipped.

I had a haynes manual handy but it really didn't help me too much. Search this forum and NAXJA for a write-up, they are definitely out there.

Basically, drain the coolant from the petcock on the passenger side of the radiator (mine was behind the turn signal under the headlight, hard as hell to get to). I just took a hose off and drained it that way. Unbolt the core support and take it out. It'll probably give you more room to take out the battery too. Take out the electric fan as well as the engine driven fan shroud. Take all the hoses and lines off. You need a fuel line tool to get the transmission line connector off. Mine took forever to me to get off. Pull the radiator straight out and reverse everything. Took me an afternoon plus a trip to autozone to the the fuel line disconnect tools.

Much more satisfying doing it myself. I've never taken my Mustang to a shop for work, I don't plan on taking my Jeep anywhere either (except maybe for the gears, but I had a friend help me do them in my driveway on the stang).
dcorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
Jeep gal
1999 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepin.com/features/gdi/index.asp

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...59358&t=266188
Jeep gal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
ashoemak

I changed mine out a few weeks ago. It was pretty easy. There are a few write ups under the tech section on here that i referred to.
ashoemak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I changed mine out last summer,the plastic resevoir on the end blew off. I would deff. go with a three row all metal radiator. I got mine at advance auto, cant remember exactly how much but mine ran at 210 all the time and 230 plus with air on. I put new radiator, water pump, 180 thermostat,new hoses and flushed coolant. now it runs at 175 to185 with or without air on.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
tcc9mpl
1996 XJ Cherokee 

my plastic screw blew off recently as well, does that mean i should get a new radiator? (i had the thermostat and fan clutch replaced , and coolant flushed)
tcc9mpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
medicbear
2007 JK Wrangler 

i noticed some say lh and some say rh drives... how do i know which one i need? and then they also state some are HD
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
mickdawg777
1995 XJ Cherokee 

lh and rh drives mean what they say. Your vehicle is left hand drive, because you're sitting in the left seat. It's true, that's what they mean by lh and rh drive.

Get the HD one. more coils.

I always manage to buy absolute junk and putting tons of $$$ in it. No such thing as a good deal.
mickdawg777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
medicbear
2007 JK Wrangler 

thats what i thought was the hd would fit the same but provide extra cooling since its designed to work under more stress or higher temps
Unread 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
evied
1995 ZJ 

Why do I need to remove/disconnect the neg battery cable? I have a leak at the bottom of my radiator somewhere. I am attempting to figure out where it is but I don't know if I need to remove the cable in order to take the grill reinforcement panel off and maybe the fan shroud?
evied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You need to disconnect the battery so you don't make hand-burger when you're in and around the serp belt by someone cranking the engine over, pressing the auto start etc. by accident.

I work with a fellow nicknamed fingers and another named stumpy. You don't want their nicknames too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.