how to change the dash light bulbs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > how to change the dash light bulbs

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-10-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
snowmonsterdude
1998 XJ Cherokee 

how to change the dash light bulbs

my part time light went out and i need to know how to change that... im pretty sure its a bad bulb because it works every once in a while but most of the time it doesn't help is much appreciated thanx....

snowmonsterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Guswut
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Remove the dash bezel frame thing (two screws on the "roof" of the dash window, one to the left of the steering column, one to the right.. Maybe on near the heater vent. Just check before you rip it out).

Unscrew the dash cluster (six screws).

Pull the dash cluster a bit forward and unplug the two data connections (one on the far-left, one in the middle).

Remove the dash cluster.

On the back you will find all of the bulbs. They are the twist-and-pop kind. Check to see if you have a "spare" with an unused bulbs in another light (the "shift" light had a bulb in my automatic. Strangest thing, heh)

While you have the cluster out you should take the time to clean the plastic on the front off. A nice shiny happy cluster is a loved cluster! Heh.

Good luck.

With your cluster out you might want to
Unread 03-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It is much easier to test the bulb before you pull apart the dash.

This is a self test of the instrument cluster functions on 1998 and newer Jeep Cherokee's XJ

1) Push and hold the odometer reset button.

2) Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the Run position, but don't start it.

3) Release the odometer reset button.

The instrument will enter the self test mode. The gauges will start moving in a sequence and the indicator lights will turn on.

You can also disconnect the wire harness from the 4x4 lamp switch on the transfer case and test the 4x4 lamp with a paper clip. I think your transfer case 4x4 lamp switch has a dirty connection or is going bad.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
phmaris
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would first make sure it is not the switch on the transfer case that is going out. This was making my 4WD light behave in the same way you described.
phmaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.