How can I test my temp gauge? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How can I test my temp gauge?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
zatch83
1992 XJ Cherokee 

How can I test my temp gauge?

My temp gauge has never moved as long as I've owned the vehicle. I do know that my engine has overheated a few times, though. Is there a way to test my gauge at some point down the line to find what is at fault? I don't know where it leads to. I don't even know what parts are replacable in this case.

Where should I start? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

..//ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ//
.//_____Jeep____//
|[O]||||||||||[O]|
zatch83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

all parts are replace able.

The gauge can be replaced.

The most common problem is the sending unit. I have tried to get a Temp-to-resistance table for the gauge but have never gotten much.

The sending unit is located on the right side of the valve cover on the block close to the fire wall. There is a single wire connector comming out... thats it. its a few bucks to replace.

you could get a low resistance potentiometer and adjust the resistance so it acts like the sending unit and see if the gauge changes.

Or if you already have the sending unit get a cup of hot water (or cold if the motor is hot) and pull the connector connect it to the new sender unit and put it in the water in the cup. you will have to ground the sending unit. but if it changes then you know the gauge is working if not then its the gauge...
NAXJA Member #2619

1995 Jeep Sport Cherokee 4x4 with an Auto and 4.0L
B&M Transmission Cooler and Autometer Tranny Temp Gauge, Ruff Stuff Diff Cover on D30.
Taraflex 1.5" BB (rear shackle only), HD Quadratec leaf springs, RE 3.5" front springs, OME Long shocks, JKS Adjustable Track Bar from K.O.R.
Daystar Control Arm Bushings, Bushwhacker Flairs, Rhino lining along bottom trim, AGR PS pump with Cooler & Filter.
Bored TB, APN Manifold, New Downpipe, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Super 44.
Dual Oil Relocation Kit running two K&N301 size filters, Autometer Digital Cobalt Oil Temp and Oil Pressure Gauge.
Magus2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
XJdamyankee

When I replaced my gauge cluster I thought my temp gauge was broken but found out it was only stuck. What you have to do is unhook the wire from the sensor (drivers side rear of head) then using a small piece wire ground it out and turn your key on. This should cause you temp gauge to move. If it doesnt then you gauge is broke, it if does then you need a new sensor.
OME 2" lift & shocks, RE super-ride control arms
XJdamyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Worse comes to worse, get an aftermarket gauge.
Unread 02-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
zatch83
1992 XJ Cherokee 

So, is the wire going into the valve cover just a cheap thermocouple? That would be an easy fix.

Okay, thanks guys. I'll get a chance to take a look at it this weekend.
..//ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ//
.//_____Jeep____//
|[O]||||||||||[O]|
zatch83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.