How can I tell when the torque converter locks/ unlocks? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How can I tell when the torque converter locks/ unlocks?

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 10-17-2008, 11:22 PM   #16
cheapfix
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
nope, I used a scanner to read it

Scanner? You don't even have doors...

Unread 10-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #17
cheepjeep96
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah.. Does it lock up around 40-45mph though? because when i had my 96, cruising it would go into a lower rpm, and not change pitch except while speeding up.

is the lock-up anything special?

Previous poster.

SIG! thanks. i lol'd very hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
If you only have the 1 clutch however, I'd suggest keeping it if you expect to move by anything other than 1. gravity or 2. transcontinental drift. Both are time tested to work, but you might not get exactly where you want to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapfix View Post
Scanner? You don't even have doors... :p

Last edited by cheepjeep96; 10-18-2008 at 12:35 AM..
cheepjeep96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2008, 06:36 AM   #18
yellow_xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok im as confused as ever now. The past two days ive been searching for an answer. Here is the problem; With the cruise contol set at 60-65 driving on the highway flat ground the rpms will jump all of a suddon from 2250 to 3000 (approximation) then the cruise stops working and the rpms keep surging back and forth and i cant set the cruise again. I thought i found a solution (havent tried yet still researching) either the NSS or trans solenoid but now the Torque Converter card gets delt. BTW 01 xj 3" lift tc drop 255/75/15 tires if i missed anything its on my profile. Any suggestions?
Yellow Jeep Club member # 16
Jeeps dont die they get rebuilt bigger and stronger, like the 6 million dollar man!
yellow_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #19
Rollin
2005 WK 

Id say the cruise problems and the rpm change are two different problems. The rpm change is the transmission downshifting to keep up the speed you set on the cruise control

Imported from Detroit
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2008, 08:06 AM   #20
yellow_xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
Id say the cruise problems and the rpm change are two different problems. The rpm change is the transmission downshifting to keep up the speed you set on the cruise control
I would agree if i was on hilly terrain but im running completely flat road no elevation changes at all so the trans should have no reason to downshift to keep up. thank you for the responce and advice.
Yellow Jeep Club member # 16
Jeeps dont die they get rebuilt bigger and stronger, like the 6 million dollar man!
yellow_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.