How to build a capable XJ on a budget - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > How to build a capable XJ on a budget

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 06-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #16
xjpilot
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'd just stick with the standard 33x12.5 tire. plenty of tire, yet still tuckable if you do a bit of trimming. They are also the biggest you'd want to go without regearing. Mud king's are cheap and durable tires too.

Purple Jeep Club Member # 1
xjpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
djlarroc
1997 XJ Cherokee 

xjpilot, I noticed you're in AZ. Similar terrain to CO. I have a few good buddies I wheeled with out there. Do you feel our jeeps do better w/better torque (31" tires), or more clearance (33/34"). That's what's got me hung up lol
djlarroc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #18
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlarroc View Post
xjpilot, I noticed you're in AZ. Similar terrain to CO. I have a few good buddies I wheeled with out there. Do you feel our jeeps do better w/better torque (31" tires), or more clearance (33/34"). That's what's got me hung up lol
In low range the torque numbers for crawling will not make much difference from 31 to 33.
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #19
JeepRide
1998 XJ Cherokee 

With 3 inches you will be better off with 31's
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #20
xjpilot
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRide View Post
With 3 inches you will be better off with 31's
I run 33's with 2" up front and trimmed and relocated flares. the only reason my tires eat my fenders tucked is because of 1 1/4" wheel spacers. Other then that its just dandy

Purple Jeep Club Member # 1
xjpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #21
djlarroc
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjpilot View Post
I run 33's with 2" up front and trimmed and relocated flares. the only reason my tires eat my fenders tucked is because of 1 1/4" wheel spacers. Other then that its just dandy
That's why I was planning on staying with stock rims, and 10.50s. Easier to stuff. xjpilot, I noticed we have basically the same truck. How does your truck do w/the 33s and 3:55s with auto tranny? Is this truck your DD?
Unread 06-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #22
NiCk-
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I can answer this too. On the highway, don't expect and torque. I have trouble getting it above 70. At 40 MPH, speedometer is off 5 mph. At 60, it's off 8. I used a friends Garmin to find this out. Around city it's fine, just your gas mileage will be worse. I deffinetly don't think it's needed to regear with 33s unless you can't stad the gas mileage which isn't too bad in the first place. Sorry if there's any spellin error, on iPhone.

RC 4.5" with ADJ. Trac Bar
33" BFG All Terrains on Cragar Soft 8's
NiCk- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #23
djlarroc
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCk- View Post
I can answer this too. On the highway, don't expect and torque. I have trouble getting it above 70. At 40 MPH, speedometer is off 5 mph. At 60, it's off 8. I used a friends Garmin to find this out. Around city it's fine, just your gas mileage will be worse. I deffinetly don't think it's needed to regear with 33s unless you can't stad the gas mileage which isn't too bad in the first place. Sorry if there's any spellin error, on iPhone.
Nick, thanks for the

I've been readin' alot about how important it is to re-gear, and while I agree. I think that's more urgent if it's a DD. My xj won't be a DD in summer, as I have another car that gets good MPGs. It may be a DD in winter, in which case I'll put the stocks back on. I think I'm going to go w/the 34x10.50 LTBs. I know they are going to require a WHOLE LOTTA CUTTIN'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.