Hot under the hood and collar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hot under the hood and collar

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
michelt66
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

Hot under the hood and collar

Hi all. I am in need of some serious help with my Jeep Cherokee Sport.
She is a 1995 Sport 4x4 4.0 litre. I have poured over $4,000 into the engine and components over the last 16 months. I purchased a rebuilt engine and many other new parts and still can't get it to run properly. All cooling components to include radiator, hoses, thermostat, & fan clutch have been replaced yet she keeps overheating. It is mostly when I drive around town.
Below is a list of new components.

TPS, MAP, IAC, CPS, Water Pump, thermostat, Distributer, all hoses and belts, Fan clutch, plugs & wires, oxygen sensor, oil sending unit, heat sensors, power steering pump, fuel injectors, fuel filter, radiator, and I am sure there is more.

The engine has just under 6,000 miles since I purchased it from a local engine reman co. in Glendale, AZ.

I can only think of two things that would cause this problem in light of all of the new components on this vehicle. 1. the static timing between the crank and cam are one degree/tooth off, or 2. the head is not the proper one for this engine.
My reasoning for the latter is due to the fact that the original head had 2spots for temperature sensors. One for the guage in the front of the head, and one for the computer at the back of the head. When I spoke to the reman co, they said this was the correct head, and to put the heat sensor for the ECU in the block.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am at my witts end and ready to sell the thing and start new.

michelt66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Couple silly questions. Do you have a fan shroud? Did you bleed the system properly? And does the e-fan come on when ac is on?

I'm about to run into the 1 sensor and two plugs also. Purchased a newer 4.0 and when you posted I thought I'd look at the two heads. What do you know they are different!

Thinking about how to adapt since I don't wanna pull the head.

Tags
overheat , overheating , overheats , temperature spike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.