On the hot side of 210 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > On the hot side of 210

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
XJroller
1996 XJ Cherokee 

On the hot side of 210

1996 Cherokee Classic, 4.0l, automatic.
When I purchased this truck a couple of years ago, I immediately replaced the rad, H2O pump, thermostat and filled with 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled H2O. Last fall I noticed the system was VERY rusty, so I used the Preston rad cleaner, filled it with new coolant and distilled H2O and buttoned it up for the winter. A few months ago, it overheated. Changed the H20 pump, fan clutch and thermostat. Still over heated. I was advised that there was carbon in the coolant so I replaced the head gasket, BMW (WT430) engine coolant temperature sender (on rear of head on drivers side) and (CarQuest 71-2547) engine coolant temperature sender (on thermostat housing) refilled with new coolant and distilled water, still overheated.
I just finished replacing the rad with a new one, removed the water pump and the thermostat housing, flushed the rad and heater core (both ways) refilled with new coolant and distilled water. So far it is has not OVER heated but the gauge reads on the hot side of 210. I have 5 Jeeps (3-96, 1-95 and 1-00) and when they are maintained properly they all operate on the cool side of 210. Could one of the temp sensors be the wrong one. I did have a hell of a time finding a 2 connector unit with the correct shape for the thermostat housing at the local parts stores. As a matter of fact, when the part number is pulled up at CarQuest, there is a message that states the part does NOT fit that year and model Jeep. But it does "FIT" the connector.
Scratching my shaved head.

Thanks

XJroller is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.