Hose/line identification- Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hose/line identification- Help!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 07-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Hose/line identification- Help!

I have a metal line that sits on the firewall behind the intake that has a inch of rubber hose coming off of it, the rest is gone.

The line looks like it runs back to the fuel tank. What is it for? And where did the rubber hose go?

Unread 07-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same exact problem this guy has, except I have an automatic. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/most...d-help-109949/ What gives???
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Also, my fuel evaporator canister only has two hoses running to it. The third spot for a hose is capped off, and looks like it came that way. So I'm not sure if that portion of the hose has always been missing or what.
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

It's the line to the canister. The 3rd line is blank...none of my Jeeps have had a 3rd line.

There are two vents on top of the fuel tank, they each have a rubber vac hose that then comes together in a T, then the one single hose goes to a metal vac line. It is metal from there to close to the charcoal canister, then it goes back to rubber and Into the canister. The bigger of the two lines from the canister is the source vacuum from the intake/manifold. The "system" sucks fuel tank fumes through the charcoal canister and then in to the intake/manifold to be burned off.

It's an emissions thing. In CA they test the fuel tank to assure that the vents on the tank are connected to something. The valves on the tank are also known as "roll-over" valves, so if your Jeep is upside down it won't leak fuel. Is it necessary? In CA, yes...in my county anyway...and I live in the sticks.

If your area doesn't test for emissions or has looser regulations it probably isn't necessary and probably doesn't make it run any different...EXCEPT for there being a loose vacuum hose flopping around.

Than there's the whole thing about fuel leaking if you're upside down
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Hahaha... Thanks for the quick and concise reply. I'm having a lot of moments like this, as I'm putting it all back together after a rebuild.

I suppose I'll have to hunt down the fuel smell in the cabin still..
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

The fuel smell will likely take care of itself if you properly route the vent lines and make sure your rollovers are attached. The lines are meant to suck the fumes away. If the lines are broken/cut/not attached those fumes will come right in to the cabin. The only other reason you'd have fumes in the cabin would be a fuel leak under the hood...injector/fuel line etc. and should be fixed ASAP to avoid burning down all your hard work.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.