Horn stopped working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Horn stopped working

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
guttafixit
2000 WJ 

Horn stopped working

Hi, We have a 1994 Grand Cherokee and the horn stopped working. I replaced the fuse (20 amp) and the relay (under glove box). Still click, click. I took the horns off and took my test light and touched the connector wires to the horn and when the horn is pushed the test light comes on. So I have power to the horns. I took both horns and took them to my bench wire brush to get all the rust off of them. I took 1 of the horns and touched to the battery and it blew. The other horn I had nothing. I tried touching the good horn (I thought) to the battery later and nothing. Do you think I blew both horns at once? Or do you think its something else? I hooked them back up after all of that and still click click at relay.. Thank you

guttafixit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

You have power to the horn, you tested them on the bench and they both failed....

I'm gonna go with the horns are bad.

I really doubt that both went out at the same time tho...I would say one stoped working a LONG time ago, the other one worked and you never new the difference untill the other died also.

And, you have a ZJ, not a XJ. But for a horn problem there is no difference in the wiring.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
4jeepers
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
You have power to the horn, you tested them on the bench and they both failed....

I'm gonna go with the horns are bad.

I really doubt that both went out at the same time tho...I would say one stoped working a LONG time ago, the other one worked and you never new the difference untill the other died also.

And, you have a ZJ, not a XJ. But for a horn problem there is no difference in the wiring.
X 2, Any other explanation would be dealing with the supernatural!
4jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Just do what I did, get a horn relay and wire in a switch to the cabin. It was actually cheaper than getting 2 new horn units.. lol. $36 to get a cheap air horn kit from Hella.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

How does the relay and extra switch help?

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

or i know harbor freight sells all types of air horns that can be easily wired and mounted in an hour or so. and if your geting power to the horns you can just tap the air horns off the old horn wire so you dont have to install any switches.

i have 3 little air horns and the stock jeep horn. but idk about xj's i know in my yj thare is plenty of room for a small horn like this.
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

or i know harbor freight sells all types of air horns that can be easily wired and mounted in an hour or so. and if your geting power to the horns you can just tap the air horns off the old horn wire so you dont have to install any switches.

i have 3 little air horns and the stock jeep horn. but idk about xj's i know in my yj thare is plenty of room for a small horn like this.
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

^^ That works as well. I just prefer to do my own wiring so theres no "accidental honking". lol.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
mtb_crzd47
2000 WJ 

I did the HF air horn thing in the K5 I used to have but I tossed the relay and ran a power wire straight from the fuse box to the air compressor and ran the ground through a B&M shifter knob with a momentary button on it. It was badass, might be worth you considering but the knob was a little pricey
mtb_crzd47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
guttafixit
2000 WJ 

I replaced the horns with 1 new one and it works everytime now. Thank you all....
guttafixit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.