Hood vents ... ok hood vent.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hood vents ... ok hood vent....

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 09-21-2003, 05:20 PM   #1
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hood vents ... ok hood vent....

Well, after some careful figuring, I decided to go with hood vents vs the fans I was looking at .... just easier and less stuff to break...

Unlike Eric, I decided to use my dremel to make the cuts so it wouldn't get as hot and mess up the paint (and it didn't).... but I ran out of discs halfway through so I only have one on right now, and I might leave it that way.

So what do yall think.... should I put the second one on or leave it as is?

here is are pics of what mine looks like right now... some are dirty and I don't have a straight on angle one so keep that in mind...

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2003, 05:42 PM   #2
b(k)ill94xj

looks good man, i would leave it how it is and see how it works

Rocks bite hard, but trees just piss me off...

97 Wrangler sport - 2 inch RE BB - Teraflex adjustable trac bar - 3.73's d30 and d35 - 31x10.5 yokhama geolander's - 15X8 American Racing Outlaw 2 wheels 3.75 backspacing - JKS LCA skids - hella vision headlights - Alpine amp and 6.5 type S speakers

94 Cherokee Sport - 3.5 Rubicon Express Kit - RE adjustable trac bar- 31X10.5 Kumho Venture MT's - 15X8 Crager Soft 8 Class III Hidden Hitch - Hand Throttle - High flow cat w/ Delta Flow 40 muffler Transfer Case Skid Plate Removable Doors --SOLD :( :( i miss it so much
b(k)ill94xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2003, 06:11 PM   #3
KCRolins

Add the second one. Just doesnt look right without it.

KC
KCRolins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2003, 06:16 PM   #4
Blake O

I agree with KC.
I am not sure what you would gain functional wise, but you've got a great looking jeep and i am a big fan of symmetry with stuff.

That looks like a really clean install, good job!
how long did it take?
[SIZE=1]Suspension and Tires[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]3" Black Diamond, Coil Spacer and Shackles, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Removed Rear Swaybar, 32x9.50 Kumho M/T[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Other[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Tow Hook Brackets, Tomken Rear Bumper, Mopar Rear Tow Hook Bracket, Mopar Gas Tank Skid, ConFerr Rack, 2x ProComp 5" Spotlight, Homebrew Spare Mount[/SIZE]
Blake O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2003, 06:47 PM   #5
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake O
I agree with KC.
I am not sure what you would gain functional wise, but you've got a great looking jeep and i am a big fan of symmetry with stuff.

That looks like a really clean install, good job!
how long did it take?
Thanks,
Including setup, measuring, taping cutting, cleanup, and chaging out about 10 dremel disks it took about 2 hours

It would be more functional to add the second one but then thats just more drip pan crap I have to make ..... and this one is right over the exhaust so....

As far as symmetry ..... well the snorkel & CB mount kinda mess that up anyway....

98 XJ

Last edited by LOCKED UP; 09-21-2003 at 06:49 PM..
Unread 09-21-2003, 08:09 PM   #6
ecrab3

I dont think it looks bad like it is. Makes it seem more functional to me because there isnt two. YOu know, like it was found to be unessecary

I say roll with it for awhile and see what you think.

BTW, how does it like all the rain we got this weekend? Any problems areas getting wet?
ecrab3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2003, 08:25 PM   #7
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrab3
I dont think it looks bad like it is. Makes it seem more functional to me because there isnt two. YOu know, like it was found to be unessecary

I say roll with it for awhile and see what you think.

BTW, how does it like all the rain we got this weekend? Any problems areas getting wet?
Don't know ... just did it tonight

here's another for ya..... you can also see why lowering the spare was necessary ..... sorry for the quality but the weather is fugly outside....

I might try to make some sort of cover instead of a drip pan .... that way I can either have it sealed or totally open ....

98 XJ
Unread 09-21-2003, 09:54 PM   #8
KCRolins

Ok at the the yard I work at we had a New Yorker (dont remember the year) that had two vents that look pretty much just like those. Unfortunately the car was crushed before I could take them out. The cool part I noticed was that it had a facotry built drip pan that would probably come off the inside of the hood with a few well placed sawzall cuts. Do the Le Barons come with something like this?

*Sigh* oh well I will see if I can find some more in the yard monday.

KC
KCRolins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2003, 10:07 PM   #9
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah the one I got mine off of looked like it had something on there that would work but I didn't have time to get it off....

98 XJ
Unread 09-21-2003, 10:50 PM   #10
jdogg4

even with just one it looks good. I'd like to get a set of black ones I think it would look nice on a silver XJ.
2001 60th Anniversary sport silverstone. Mopar brush guard. Mopar gastank skid. Rusty's Air tube, K&N filter R.E. 6130 4.5 superflex. HD trackbar & bracket OME longtravel shocks 1 3/4 frount spacers and the hack-n-tap RE SYE kit with JKS discos. 32"BFG AT Ko's firegod rockrails. going up to 5.5 and 33s soon.
jdogg4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2003, 01:10 AM   #11
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I definitely think 2 look better than just one. Good luck on making covers... I tried that on mine and they just didn't turn out good so I went with the homebrew drip pans.

The LeBaron / New Yorkers that these vents come off of do have pans underneath, and it looked to me that they would HIGHLY limit the amount of ventilation possible. I do notice better ventilation when I remove my drivers side pan but I've tried to design it in a way that will still let as much heat out as possible with the pan installed and it does do a pretty good job.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2003, 09:46 AM   #12
mountaindrew

For some reason, asymetrical hood vents always looked cooler to me. I like it *** is and one vent will probably alow enough air.
mountaindrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2003, 09:54 AM   #13
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

I don't have pans on mine. I haven't had a problem with water at all. Honestly, I don't see the point of pans, unless there is a way to route the water out of the engine bay. The pan will just collect the water and dump it all at once, instead of letting the rain fall in drops.
I only had one vent for a while. I ran out of time, during the install. With one, I didn't see a difference in engine temp. With both, I dropped about 8-10 degrees.
Unread 09-22-2003, 12:46 PM   #14
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I designed my pans to divert the water and let it drip down away from the engine. The reason I have pans, is I don't think its good to have the engine (electronics, sensors, etc) wet for long periods of time when the jeep is parked in rainy weather or in the wintertime.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2003, 01:20 PM   #15
Bear549

Looks good BR...! I think you could go either way with it, single or dual. Duals would look more symmetrical, but then look at the snorkle... It stands out more this way.

By the way, how did you get it in the garage??
Bear549 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.