Hood is closed and cable is broke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hood is closed and cable is broke

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 03-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
wilcoxon
1976 CJ7 

Hood is closed and cable is broke

Here was my problem and the answer that I figured out from here on jeep forum.
We recently purchased a 1996 Cherokee XJ for my daughters first vehicle.

When we bought it the hood release cable was broken and had to be opened by using a pair of pliers. Iw to the local Advance Auto parts store and luckily they had the cable in stock. I came home and started to install it. It was easy enough had the old one out and new one installed in just about 20 mins. I sprayed everything real good with PB blaster like the thread said to. I then shut the hood and tried to open it.
WHAT? It would not open! I tried everything, i was able to lay under the front of the XJ and reach up through the engine compartment and grab the silver bar that goes across the underneath of the hood and runs to both side hood catches. I was able to release the passengers side but still to no avail not the drivers side. I ended up removing the drivers side headlight bezel, headlight,turn signal and running lights to be able to access the bolts that mount the hood latch on that side. that solved my problem hopefully this will help other with similar issues. ive included pics so maybe this will make sense to you guys. Disregard the date stamp on pics i just took these on 3/25/13

100_3987.jpg   100_3988.jpg   100_3992.jpg   100_3994.jpg   100_3996.jpg  

100_3998.jpg   100_3999.jpg   100_4003.jpg   100_4004.jpg   100_3993.jpg  

wilcoxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You just have to pull it further down to release the drivers side. Mines been broken since I got my XJ a year ago and I still crawl under it to open the hood lol
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Did the new cable break? Sounds like the mechanism is rusted up and not moving properly.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I hate seeing those random bits of rust on the sheet metal and hardware. My '96 has lived its entire life in Arizona, so there's really no rust anywhere (bolts underneath that haven't been moved since it was built come off without drama). If anyone is buying an XJ for a long-term "keeper", they might want to consider a trip to the desert southwest to shop for one. The prices don't seem to be much higher here, though you do have to look for the down side, like cooked paint (just had mine repainted for the second time) and interior (I was shocked at how bad the interiors are in the junkyard XJs around here - I guess tinted windows and regular use of a sunshade must help).

The photos remind me of something I found on my XJ... there's a removable panel right behind the left headlight. It covers a rectangular opening in the panel behind the headlight, which lines up with the opening to the air filter box. I can only assume it is/was there to allow for cool outside air to get to the air box. Anyway, I removed that panel and now there's a path for air to get into the air box without going through the rest of the (hot) engine compartment. Can't say I noticed any difference, but it couldn't hurt.
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hood Pins when all is said and done. You can lock them if you live in the ghetto.

Living in the rust belt, I pulled hard one night getting the hood open - as the second side released and I was holding the lever in my hand, I chose never to use those mechanisms again. I was close to having to do the headlight removal fix.
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
OnTheFence

Great photos.
Did you figure out why the new cable didn't work?
Was there slack in the cable?
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
CKUPQ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
Hood Pins when all is said and done. You can lock them if you live in the ghetto.

Living in the rust belt, I pulled hard one night getting the hood open - as the second side released and I was holding the lever in my hand, I chose never to use those mechanisms again. I was close to having to do the headlight removal fix.
Just got done doing hood pins on mine. I threw away half the hardware and original pins because the design of the XJ hood made just about everything in the kit too short. Lesson learned, next time just sell the xj.
CKUPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

my 95 had the cable come all the way out in the cab about a month after i bought it. hood pins, a drill, and two springs from a hardware store fixed that. same springs for over 4 years and they still pop up without any problem. can't get pics to load or i would show you how i did it.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

got them to work
pin.jpg   hoodpins.jpg  
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.