Hood clear coat peeling off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hood clear coat peeling off

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 08-19-2007, 01:14 AM   #1
Bullzi
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Hood clear coat peeling off

hey guys, my clear coat is peeling off, ill put pics up tomorrow, but i was just wondering, whats the best way to repaint the clear coat? my dad can do painting and such, but i didnt know if that simple car clear coat in a spray can would work, i know we obviously need to sand the clear coat off and such.

i just didnt want to go to the trouble of having him repaint it when i could have just used that clear coat in a can.

thanks
kyle

Unread 08-19-2007, 01:32 AM   #2
ar275103
1993 XJ Cherokee 

im having the same problem in my 93, except the cleatcoat is going on the roof also. I am almost to the point of sanding both and painting them again and re-clearing them with rattle cans, as I dont have the budget to get a prof. paint job and am confident I can get decent results with rattle cans and some wet sanding. just curious, do they make rattle cans with uv protectant?
ar275103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2007, 01:58 AM   #3
Bullzi
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar275103
im having the same problem in my 93, except the cleatcoat is going on the roof also. I am almost to the point of sanding both and painting them again and re-clearing them with rattle cans, as I dont have the budget to get a prof. paint job and am confident I can get decent results with rattle cans and some wet sanding. just curious, do they make rattle cans with uv protectant?
ya seems to be a common problem with ones that have sat outside, i think ill do the same and simply sand it and just do it that way, i have no idea if they have UV protection, i would think they do since its clear coat, but idk... ill have to look more into it
Unread 08-19-2007, 03:06 AM   #4
AzTeal-J
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Waxing it regularly after the clear is applied will help a lot from peeling off again.
AzTeal-J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2007, 03:12 AM   #5
motu1983
1989 XJ Cherokee 

you can always just flat black it like mine. or if your not lazy (like me) then yes you can get a pretty good look from rattlecans and wet sanding. i'm thinking of wet sanding mine down and spraying a fresh coat of gloss on and some clear.
4.0, Stock everything, girlfriend's ride, Girly Purple/silver paint (Girlfriend's)
motu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Bullzi
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu1983
you can always just flat black it like mine. or if your not lazy (like me) then yes you can get a pretty good look from rattlecans and wet sanding. i'm thinking of wet sanding mine down and spraying a fresh coat of gloss on and some clear.
well we have something in common, lol, yea thats prolly what ill do, wet sand and hit it with a rattlecan of clear coat
Unread 08-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
GloryImSaved
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Do us a favor and keep us updated with some pics. I'm curious as to how it'll turn out. I need to schedule a budget paint job due to the same reasons.

1 Corinthians 9:16 "For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!"

Last edited by GloryImSaved; 08-20-2007 at 11:36 AM..
GloryImSaved is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
ar275103
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Ive been to the store pricing out what it will cost to repaint and reclear my hood and roof due to the notorious clear coat fading. But what is the big difference btw the 5.50 dupli color and the 2.00 rattle cans? Im def. leaning towards the cheaper paint bc its going to take more than a few cans to do the hood and roof and at 5.50 a pop its not going to be that cheap. Also I figure if i take my time with prep work and wet sand, polish, etc Im going to get decent results bc Im just trying to make the old xj a little more presentable
ar275103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
BrunoS

96' green with same issues, peeling everywhere.

very common in many cars, but long story as to how and why it happens.

anyways, i've tried all the "paint can" fixes. does not work on peeling. looks ok for about a week, and then peels somewhere else.

solution? I'm spending $1,065 at Maaco next week for a full sanding, fix 5 damaged body panels (from former owner) primer, and the "good stuff" paint with clear coat mixed, with full warranty.

i hate doing it, spending this much. but at this point, it has to be done. the interior and under the hood is perfect, so all that's left is to fix the bad dents and fender/grill bender and get a nice glossy paint job.

i will use the rim paint in the "graphite" color for my factory 96' aluminum rims, as the clear coat is peeling on those as well.

long lesson is this: I tend to keep my cars a long time. i've never had to paint one until now. so why pay somone so much? because I plan to keep it five years and found a rust bubble in the paint on the roof next to the worse peeling areas. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

since xj's sell for full price in california, i am restoring it back to full value and will get to enjoy it. it's a lot cheaper than a new car, and with a 5-spd is quicker than most cars i've been in.

so, suck it up, and spend around 600 (no dents, etc) to $1,000 and get it painted. if you plan on keeping her.

if she's ancient and ain't worth it...then use rustoleum brand, as it prevents rust.
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
Ravenkil

From what i have seen and heard Maaco does a good paint job but a terrible job at taping off everything. They have a habit of getting over spray everywhere.
Ravenkil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:24 PM   #11
Bullzi
1990 XJ Cherokee 

well i can do a professional paint job at home, my dad has a paint booth in the workshop where we paint cars that we build, ill give the rattlecans a try and let you guys know how that turns out, should be able to do that this weekend, ill do some in depth prep work and take pics of the before and after also ill keep updated about how it looks and if its peeling, i'd love to have somebody else do it but im a highschool student and just starting a business, i literally have no pocket change or money to spend now... once my business gets going and such, ill be able to get new suspension, new exhaust, new carpet, new seats and the whole nine yards to restore her back to OEM

thanks for the suggestions!
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #12
GloryImSaved
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The cherokee I have has been through quite a bit when age / accidents are taken into consideration. Far too much for a pro paint job. I should take some pictures just so a few people can laugh and nod.

1 Corinthians 9:16 "For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!"
GloryImSaved is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #13
Bullzi
1990 XJ Cherokee 

lol ya ill get a couple pics up tomorrow of my XJ so you guys can critique me, not much i can do her as she sits, just gotta wait till business gets goin
Unread 08-21-2007, 01:55 AM   #14
88wagon

I painted a couple of pieces on my jeep with duplicolor paint and clear coat and they came out great. I sanded them down with 2000 grit and got all the paint off primed it put 4 coats of base and 4 coats of clear and nobody can tell the difference from the factory and the piece i painted. I believe you can do it but its going to be hard to just get the clear coat off, you might have to find the paint that matches and just sand the whole thing down smooth repaint it and clear the hell out of it. I will try and take some pics of it if you are interested.
07 yaris hatchback
88wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #15
Bullzi
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88wagon
I painted a couple of pieces on my jeep with duplicolor paint and clear coat and they came out great. I sanded them down with 2000 grit and got all the paint off primed it put 4 coats of base and 4 coats of clear and nobody can tell the difference from the factory and the piece i painted. I believe you can do it but its going to be hard to just get the clear coat off, you might have to find the paint that matches and just sand the whole thing down smooth repaint it and clear the hell out of it. I will try and take some pics of it if you are interested.
alright great, ya the grit is what my dad was wondering about, well ill get some pics up in about an hour of my before and hopefully ill be able to work on it this weekend, should be able to get i knocked out in a couple days

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.