Homemade Winch Bumper V2.0 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Homemade Winch Bumper V2.0

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice fab work, I am impressed with your design skills and engineering. This is way stronger than the stock stamped cross member...this is not going to twist unless you have some major carnage.

Love the DUB sticker too... classic. lol

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #17
jakeleverett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ya you should be good strength-wise, very good lookin bumper but definitely not for the fainthearted haha
jakeleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #18
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
Love the DUB sticker too... classic. lol
Dub is my nickname, so my girlfriends parents got me the sticker as a birthday present a couple years ago.

Also shows my inner gangsta to the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeleverett View Post
ya you should be good strength-wise, very good lookin bumper but definitely not for the fainthearted haha
It gets easier the more you cut.

The last bumper I made, I was nervous about cutting the grill! This time I didnt even flinch with all the cutting I did.

Be careful though, it gets addictive.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #19
justanotherjpr

A little late to post, but really nice work.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #20
XgarrettJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

VERY nice bumper!
FOR SALE.. 4500obo

1995 Dodge 12v Cummins
2500, rclb, 5 speed
Daily driver, tow rig, work truck
XgarrettJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #21
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

very sick, def gonna seal some ideas when i do mine. one question though.. how do you plan on getting the winch back out if you need to? doesnt look like you have any room to pull it out unles you oull the motor.. or cut
Unread 01-20-2011, 01:27 AM   #22
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Remove front clip -> move radiator to the side out of the way -> lift out winch. Takes about 15-20 mins.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #23
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak View Post
very sick, def gonna seal some ideas when i do mine. one question though.. how do you plan on getting the winch back out if you need to? doesnt look like you have any room to pull it out unles you oull the motor.. or cut
Like Tim said, if I really need to remove the winch, its 10 minutes removing the front clip. I dont even have to remove the radiator I dont think.

But how often do you remove your winch? To me its not that big of a concern, and should I have to Ill figure it out when that time comes.

edit: Timo, I realized I never responded to your question about the dimple dies. I got them from a guy off of Pirate, I want to say they cost about $120 for a set of 6 ranging from 1/2'' to 1-1/2'' or something like that. My friend and I split the cost, and he keeps them at his house since he has the press. Its a 20 ton Harbor Freight special, it seems to do the job for what it is. We have dimpled mostly 1/8'' plate, with some thinner stuff mixed in and they all look pretty good. I tried some 3/16'' and the press and dimples didnt like life, but thats above the recommended max of 1/8'' so Im not worried about that.

For how much the dies were, we are pretty happy, but I do wish the dimples were a little deeper at times however that would only be for aesthetics of certain pieces. They do work pretty well, and its just another tool that you can use to add flare to your work.

Next biggest challenge will be to figure out if I can tuck 37s without modifying this bumper since I will hopefully be bumping up tires sizes in the next couple months.

Unread 01-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #24
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post
Timo, I realized I never responded to your question about the dimple dies. I got them from a guy off of Pirate, I want to say they cost about $120 for a set of 6 ranging from 1/2'' to 1-1/2'' or something like that. My friend and I split the cost, and he keeps them at his house since he has the press. Its a 20 ton Harbor Freight special, it seems to do the job for what it is. We have dimpled mostly 1/8'' plate, with some thinner stuff mixed in and they all look pretty good. I tried some 3/16'' and the press and dimples didnt like life, but thats above the recommended max of 1/8'' so Im not worried about that.
Ok, sounds good. 1/8" is plenty thick stuff for dimple dies, I don't see a need for dimples on thicker stuff on these vehicles.. I found a place here in Finland who could fab me a similar set, but that would've cost me ~400$. I guess I'll just find a webshop that accepts international orders.

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
For how much the dies were, we are pretty happy, but I do wish the dimples were a little deeper at times however that would only be for aesthetics of certain pieces. They do work pretty well, and its just another tool that you can use to add flare to your work.
True, and IMO the great thing about dimples is that you can use thinner plate, press the dimples - and it's more rigid, stronger, and much lighter than a thicker straight plate.

Quote:
Next biggest challenge will be to figure out if I can tuck 37s without modifying this bumper since I will hopefully be bumping up tires sizes in the next couple months.
I didn't see if you've cut the corners under battery tray/ factory airbox? That's the place where you will certainly rub with 37s. Looking at the pics your 35s seem to be quite close to the bumper front corner guards at full lock/ stuffed in, so you may need to do something about that.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #25
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post
Like Tim said, if I really need to remove the winch, its 10 minutes removing the front clip. I dont even have to remove the radiator I dont think.

But how often do you remove your winch? To me its not that big of a concern, and should I have to Ill figure it out when that time comes.

edit: Timo, I realized I never responded to your question about the dimple dies. I got them from a guy off of Pirate, I want to say they cost about $120 for a set of 6 ranging from 1/2'' to 1-1/2'' or something like that. My friend and I split the cost, and he keeps them at his house since he has the press. Its a 20 ton Harbor Freight special, it seems to do the job for what it is. We have dimpled mostly 1/8'' plate, with some thinner stuff mixed in and they all look pretty good. I tried some 3/16'' and the press and dimples didnt like life, but thats above the recommended max of 1/8'' so Im not worried about that.

ohh gotcha. what did you do about mounting the solenoid?
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #26
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

awesome, im still trying to decide what bumper to get, i like the logans winch bumper specially for the price but they stick out really far, and im kinda debating maybe just not getting a winch bumper so i can have more approach angle....idno.
Unread 01-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #27
CanadianXJ4life

that is amazing craftsmanship! looks great to.
CanadianXJ4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #28
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

bump on my last qustion.. how/where have you mounted the solenoid??
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #29
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You can mount it anywhere you like, and use a 3-pole cable and a rocker switch (on-off-on) inside the cab to spool the winch in-out.

I had my solenoid box mounted to a bracket in the firewall (bend of flat steel bar), about where the renix-era XJs had the coolant pressure bottle. Just remember the further the box, the thicker electric cables you must use for the winch so you don't get voltage drop and heat the cables.

***Under construction***
Unread 02-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #30
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
I didn't see if you've cut the corners under battery tray/ factory airbox? That's the place where you will certainly rub with 37s. Looking at the pics your 35s seem to be quite close to the bumper front corner guards at full lock/ stuffed in, so you may need to do something about that.
I still have yet to cut the inner fenders on either side. When I bump to 37s, I will be tubing the rear fenders and cutting them even more, cutting the front inner fenders, swapping my 5 lug 44 stuff for 8 lug 44 stuff, and installing a rear 14 bolt.

Unfortunately it wont be a weekend project, and due to my lack of time it wont happen for about a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak View Post
bump on my last qustion.. how/where have you mounted the solenoid??
Solenoid is mounted right behind the battery. I had thought about placing it where the stock air box went but it wouldnt quite fit. I also considered mounting it to the grill, but I didnt like the way it looked.
Its actually pretty hard to find a spot to mount it due to size limitations, so you will have to play around with it on your own.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.