Homemade winch bumper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Homemade winch bumper?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-25-2004, 07:03 PM   #1
jkkj

Homemade winch bumper?

I am in the process of making a winch bumper and have a question. When I removed the factory bumper I found a flat plate looking at me. It had holes that my Warn m8000 bolted right to. I had not read where anyone else mentioned this. Why is that?

Before I get slaughtered I did reenforce it with 3/16. I did put supports down the outside of the unibody, and they are going to be tied together. By mounting the winch horizontally I am going to be able to have my winch in an area it won't be able to be gotten out of without unbolting and reomoving the front of the bumper. To much for a theif? I think so.

It would realy suck to be the theif that takes the bolts out of the winch to find out you still can not get it out without taking the 12 bolts out that tie the bumper to the winchplate and the tie the bumper to the frame.

jkkj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2004, 08:50 PM   #2
mission-inc

Quote:
When I removed the factory bumper I found a flat plate looking at me. It had holes that my Warn m8000 bolted right to.
Do you have pictures?
[URL=http://www.amt.org/scott]My Cherokee Website[/URL]
[URL=http://www.missionrepublic.com]My Clothing Company[/URL]
mission-inc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2004, 09:40 PM   #3
AMK

Some XJs had a factory winch mount in the factory bumper. There has been a recent NAXJA threat talking about them, here. Maybe you have the factory mount? I don't know much about them.
Unread 04-26-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
jkkj

No, I do not have any pictures.

It's not in the bumper. It's in the piece that ties the subframes together in the front.
jkkj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2004, 12:38 PM   #5
chino85

well the winch mount they are taking about is attached to the frame. You have to modify the bumper to put the fairlead on. Basically you can mount a winch without a new bumper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.