Homemade Roof Rack XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Homemade Roof Rack XJ

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
ajyeepin8
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Homemade Roof Rack XJ

Hey Guys, I am new here I have always read threads here but finally had something to add so I made an account
I have a 99 2 door XJ that is an awesome rig
I had a roof rack on it that came off of a Land Rover... it made it fit but it never was 100% so after it being on there for 5 years it started rusting so i junked it and wanted to buy a new one...
There was only 1 rack that i really liked. the JCR rack I think is a REALLY good looking rack and strong. The problem is that it is 1000+ bucks for all the stuff i wanted on it... So I got out my welder and made me one!

I started with Conduit because it bends well and it actually strong once its bent and welded. i used angle iron for the middle for strength

had to see what it would start to look like.

So here i basically did cross member bars for strength

i knotched the pipes so they would weld better

After making both sides i mad corner pieces so i could add to those later

all 4 sides

Now i needed a light bar

Next i wanted sleek bars going from the back to the front at a slight angle overall i wanted my rack to be kind of streamlined but still rough looking

and on the jeep again... I HAD TO MAKE SURE IT WAS LOOKING GOOD SO IT WAS ON THE JEEP ALOT HAHA

Next i needed cross members for the sides to make them strong

Next i did a rear bar

I brought the back bar in a little because i am going to put my high lift jack on the back so i wanted to rest it there

So after i got to here i stopped for 3 weeks or so...It started snowing and got cold and I couldnt figure out how to mount the rack on the jeep....I should have thought of that at first haha so i played with a couple of ideas and came up with mounting it to the factory mount points and taking off the stock rails that are there.

You can see i made L brackets and later cut them to size...
So now after all that i welded the Light tabs on it and sanded it...Primed and painted it

Now i put on the lights. I like the Square lights more because the jeep is so boxy and has square headlights so no PIA lights for me ;/

So here it is on the roof and wired up for the headlights

The tire is on

So as of today that is where it is at! i plan on putting on a shovel and the high lift jack.
I really want to figure out a bike rack for the top as well down the road...
hope you enjoy the rack and if you have any questions let me know id behappy to help
total cost with lights $180 :-)

ajyeepin8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
ck1
2014 JK Wrangler 

nice work...looks real good!
Unread 01-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
ajyeepin8
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck1 View Post
nice work...looks real good!
Thank you!
Unread 01-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
dharmabum
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Nice looking rack, can you post up some better pics of the mounts to the roof?
dharmabum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
ajyeepin8
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabum View Post
Nice looking rack, can you post up some better pics of the mounts to the roof?
Its really cold outside so there is some frost lol

i took some metal and made an L bracket. i was going to weld it straight to the rack but because of the demensions i wouldnt be able to get to the srew that goes to the roof so i bolted it to the rack
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
dharmabum
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajyeepin8 View Post
Its really cold outside so there is some frost lol

i took some metal and made an L bracket. i was going to weld it straight to the rack but because of the demensions i wouldnt be able to get to the srew that goes to the roof so i bolted it to the rack
Thanks I've been thinking of doing a flat rail that picks up all the stock holes with supports welded in to the bottom of a full rack. Have you had any issues with the stock mounting holes?
dharmabum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
ajyeepin8
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabum View Post
Thanks I've been thinking of doing a flat rail that picks up all the stock holes with supports welded in to the bottom of a full rack. Have you had any issues with the stock mounting holes?
No my stock mounts are in good shape so no issues, its very strong, i can grab my rack and shake it and the jeep moves not the rack so its solid.
Unread 01-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
Xride

Looks good. Being a sparky I'm not sure I would use EMT, although I am sure it is strong enough, I just know I would always go for the one extra ratchet with my straps and would bend it up pretty quick.

For mounting to the rain gutter jrc really has a great design that is pretty easy to make on your own.

Or spend the few bucks to buy from them.
Unread 01-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

How you like performance in corners with that tire up top?

Had mine up there for ... 2 days before it had to come down.
Unread 01-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
Xride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post

I've had 200 lbs on the top of my XJ before (which makes the factory roof rack touch the roof in case you are wondering) and didn't really notice it felt any less sure footed than before, although would never wheel with it up there.
Unread 01-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
ajyeepin8
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride View Post
Looks good. Being a sparky I'm not sure I would use EMT, although I am sure it is strong enough, I just know I would always go for the one extra ratchet with my straps and would bend it up pretty quick.

For mounting to the rain gutter jrc really has a great design that is pretty easy to make on your own.

Or spend the few bucks to buy from them.
My friend bought those from JCR and they failed pretty badly. I made my own but they looked weird on the rack i thought... Im really impressed how strong the stock points are. I had the tire on there with straps at first and had it tight enough to almost dent the tire lol and they held up great. so far so good! lol
Unread 01-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
ajyeepin8
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post

I havent noticed a big difference. my jeep doesnt get great MPG anyways... most dont and its not my daily driver anymore so it doesnt bother me. Eventually im going to get a swing bumper with a tire carrier on it...so for now its up there because my trunk has alot of stuff in it.
Unread 01-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #13
Xride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajyeepin8 View Post
My friend bought those from JCR and they failed pretty badly. I made my own but they looked weird on the rack i thought... Im really impressed how strong the stock points are. I had the tire on there with straps at first and had it tight enough to almost dent the tire lol and they held up great. so far so good! lol
I don't understand how they could fail? It's such a simple design.
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #14
ajyeepin8
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride View Post
I don't understand how they could fail? It's such a simple design.
They snapped while we were on the trail. well 1 off them did not all of them.
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #15
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I know the tire takes up most of the room, but I'd want more cross bars so other things I might place up there didn't fall in between the other bars...
Otherwise
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
roofrack , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.