Homemade Bump stops! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Homemade Bump stops!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Homemade Bump stops!

I was installing the new lift, and found this:

I needed a quick fix to finish my install so I had to come up with a way to make the universal type bump stop work. I bought some 1.25" steel pipe and a cap to make this:

This combination extended my bump stop by about 1.25 inches. You could use longer pipe, but Id weld it in if you do. I dtrilled a hole in the cap and bolted the universal bumpstop to it. I then threaded the cap onto the pipe. I ground the dimples out of the inside of where the factory bump stops go and inserted the 1.25" pipe. I drilled straight through and bolted in place with a .25"x2" bolt. Finished product:

You can make these longer using longer pipe, but you would want to weld it in. They way I made mine, the pipe cap rests flush against the factory bump stop location, so it should be strong enough without welding.

XJcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
crem
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thats is a pretty sweet idea!
crem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
ChEaPsK87
1987 XJ Cherokee 

this is awesome! i am a plumber so i have access to these materials everyday. think i am going to keep this one

i have one small concern though. it is strong pipe in short lengths and low stress driving. but i think anything longer than a shoulder nipple or 2" nipple or lots of daily driving-hard offroading might make the bolt wear through or pipe shatter in 1/2. just a thought!!! not saying it will not work great for many years. i love the idea and will be trying it out

and really you also created an easily removable bupstop also! this could work if you plan on later changing lifts and want more bumpstop you could just unbolt and replace with longer pipe. just a great writeup!
ChEaPsK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

what was total cost of the project? You can buy poly ones that fit in the stock hole for like 30 bucks.

good idea though.
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
jeepxjadam
1999 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE=ChEaPsK87;10183598]
i have one small concern though. it is strong pipe in short lengths and low stress driving. but i think anything longer than a shoulder nipple or 2" nipple or lots of daily driving-hard offroading might make the bolt wear through or pipe shatter in 1/2. just a thought!!! not saying it will not work great for many years. i love the idea and will be trying it out
[QUOTE]

you could buy schedule 80 or 160 pipe nipples. the wall thickness of them should easily hold up to offroad use.

i think ill make a few of these at work monday. i make nipples and caps daily so i can snag a few
Warn t-case skid, M.O.R.E steering box brace, D-Windows, 33x10.5 KM2's
cut and folded rear, flare relocation up front
jeepxjadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
ChEaPsK87
1987 XJ Cherokee 

yeah sch 80 should be perfect actually! i am so used to working with 40 i dont even think about the others
Unread 09-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Total cost was like $16. I would have gotten the stock replacements, but it meant another day of downtime. I just needed something I could throw in right now. The 1/4" bolt really just holds the plumbing up. If the axle were to contact the bumpstop, the cap hits the tower, so the bolt doesnt actually take any of the force. I did think of that though, which is why I say if you go longer to weld it. I will likely still end up putting a hockey puck on the spring perch, being as I have a 4.5" lift. I did this lift in my driveway with no air tools and only a few power tools, so I had to be creative.
XJcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
ChEaPsK87
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJcruiser View Post
Total cost was like $16. I would have gotten the stock replacements, but it meant another day of downtime. I just needed something I could throw in right now. The 1/4" bolt really just holds the plumbing up. If the axle were to contact the bumpstop, the cap hits the tower, so the bolt doesnt actually take any of the force. I did think of that though, which is why I say if you go longer to weld it. I will likely still end up putting a hockey puck on the spring perch, being as I have a 4.5" lift. I did this lift in my driveway with no air tools and only a few power tools, so I had to be creative.
my project is not even in the driveway...back yard on the ground! it does make things harder and you have to be more creative. and i feel you on the power toolless too. i have a wrench set, socket set, screw drivers, BFH and SFH, angle grinder, 3" pnuematic cutoff wheel and air compressor...thats it!!!
Unread 12-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
ChEaPsK87
1987 XJ Cherokee 

i just happened to notice something in your pic. how the hell does your thumb bend like that!?!
Unread 12-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

double jointed. That hard part is getting my thumb to NOT bend like that.

Tags
bump , bump stop , bumpstop , tj , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.