Homebrewed Gutter-Mount Roof Rack - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Homebrewed Gutter-Mount Roof Rack

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-30-2006, 06:56 PM   #16
orchimaxi
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedbo1t
.....makes me almost wish my xj didn't come with the stock roof racks.....almost.
No reason you can't simply use your gutter mounts. If you really wanted you could even take off your stock mounts, but that shouldn't be necessary - most things will fit overtop. Put on a rack using the gutter mounts then mount a lightbar on your spare stock crossbars. Whatever you wanna do!

56th SBCT
1999 XJ SE 5 spd 4.0 -- Dead
2001 TJ Sahara 5 spd 4.0 -- born!
1995 ZJ 5.2L - purchased for $400 but needs some TLC before it gets inspected...

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i2.../Jeep%20stuff/
orchimaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #17
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bump from the Dead

I wanted to write back with an update on how these are doing.
I had a few nuts that rusted, and I apparently didn't paint one as good as the other 3, so it's got a little rust as well.
More than a year later, all 4 are still in great working order though, and the refresh was more cosmetic than anything else.

What's been on them?
- 3 6"x6"x12' pressure treated posts
- 2 surfboards, a 6'6" and a 9'6" longboard (crossing the bay bridge tunnel)
- 1 16' warehouse rack support, took 2 of us to lift, strapped it on, made the ride fine
- 4 snowboards, nothing heavy, but I got more money into my boards than my jeep...
- 8 2"x4"s laid flat, with 3 sheets of 4'x8' drywall, home depot run, made it in 1 trip

pretty much everything I've put up there has worked out great!
the body of the jeep has no damage from them either, my door trim worked better than expected.

I know there was a few of you that emailed me asking for more info, if you see this, post up and let me know how yours are working too.

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #18
253XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Those look pretty much the same as the mounts for my surco rack. And they're pretty much indestructible. I carried a couch on my roof rack using them that had to weight a good couple hundred pounds. Took 4 big guys to get it on top, and 2 angry swearing guys to get it off.

But as for the gutters, I mounted the roof rack to the stock roof rack using u bolts = ****. I thought it would fly off at freeway speeds.

Mounted it to the gutters and I can shake the entire jeep without the roof rack budging.

Nice setup, but you probably could have craigslisted a thule roof rack and got the same thing without the cutting and welding and for close to as cheap. But jeeps really aren't a practical thing, so...
XJ Daily driver, 3" Rustys lift + 2 inch coils spacers in front and shackles in back + bushwacker cutouts, 32x10.5 Super Swamper tsl radials, spidertrax wheel adapters/spacers to fit 5x5.5 rims. Rocksolid bumper by Protofab, Flowmaster super 44.
253XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #19
The Shoveller
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Deja vu!

We were just talking about trying to copy the Kargo Master gutter mounts and welding our own basket. Well having my brother-in-law weld it. Your design looks easier.
Unread 04-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #20
RogueXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

where did you get the Auto CAD program to do that I can't find any for free on the internetz....
RogueXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #21
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet!
I forgot, I've had a couch up on mine too! and a queen size mattress & box spring...

I spent $40 for the 4' aluminum tubes, the most expensive part of my setup, keeps it pretty light too.
U-bolts were like $3, the other nuts & bolts I had laying around.
The best part was the CAM cutting, and material, was a freebie, BIG THANKS to Chris out there in Phoenixville for that one!
So, total = $43

I tried to make my tubes the same size as the yakama tubes though, so all their cool components (snowboard holder, kayak holder...) fit my main assembly. But they cost money...

AutoCAD is another that isn't free, quite the contrary... $2700 last I spoke with our vendor.
I designed mine in my free time here at work, I'm an electrical draftsman.

I'm more than happy to share the file with anyone that wants it, CAM cutting and bending is on you though...
shoot me an email: deucestudios at gmail (dot) com
Unread 05-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #22
racer32
1998 XJ Cherokee 

[hijack]
Here's another option for the DIY crowd:

I used 1/4", 3/16" and 1/8" for mine...

[/hijack]
31x10.50 High Tec OTR Muds
Cragar 397 15x8 4" BS
Terra 2Lo, HD SYE, Bilstein 5150 & 5100s
racer32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #23
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yo Racer32, that setup looks good man.

I've had probably 20 people email me asking for CAD files & PDFs, sorry if I've been late getting back to everyone.
If you still need the files, feel free to email me, and I WILL reply to you (eventually).

I'd think that more people would have posted their creations in here though.
Like I said, there's a bunch of people that have made their own versions of these (which is great that everyone tailors them to their need) but I have yet to see any...

Post them up!

p.s. 2 years, tons (literally) of different cargo, and they're still holding up great.
Unread 09-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #24
madjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good job man! those brackets are similar to those on van ladder racks that I had on my 94XJ. As far as strength or rain rails, they will hold hundreds of pounds. I had at times 5 ladders on my XJ with no problems at all.
Unread 04-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #25
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bump from the dead.

I'm still getting email requests for these, sorry for taking so long to respond to them.
I am glad to keep sending out measurements!

The only thing I ask in return, is that you take pics, and post them in this thread.

Also... Looks like these are about 5 years old. They're still holding up strong as the first day. COUNTLESS crap has been up there, and never had an issue.

Oh and, more pics of them on my jeep.

(Yakima big powderhound snowboard racks fit on them)
Unread 11-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #26
Sambox
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Reviving an old thread, but I wanted to know what you used to bend the steel. Did you use a manual finger break? Hydraulic press? Table edge and hammer? (The last one is a joke).

1996 Cherokee XJ, All stock except for a Flow Master exhaust.........for now. He He.

http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/tucson/
Sambox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #27
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambox View Post
Reviving an old thread, but I wanted to know what you used to bend the steel. Did you use a manual finger break? Hydraulic press? Table edge and hammer? (The last one is a joke).
The joke. Seriously...

Mini propane torch, till the metal was cherry, put it in my vice, and gave it a bend, dialed to perfection with a 24oz. Estwing.
You can see how imperfect they are.
Also, theres 2 pieces to each bracket, a & b. So bracket 1 part a, won't fit on bracket 2 part b... they have to stay together, or they don't fit.

Unread 11-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #28
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueXJ View Post
where did you get the Auto CAD program to do that I can't find any for free on the internetz....
Thats because most good cad programs will make back their cost in about 8 hours... There are a bunch of free cad programs out there, like Sketchup, or DraftSight. Mostly just free for home use.

Someone has to pay the programmer to make the software

(A fellow ITT sucker here.....)
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.