Hitchmount tire carrier+hiLift& gas tank holders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hitchmount tire carrier+hiLift& gas tank holders

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
TwistedcaB-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Hitchmount tire carrier+hiLift& gas tank holders

ok well i got the base idea off of this thread ( http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/hitch-mount-spare-tire-carrier-done-570883/ ) and as soon as i saw it i knew i had to make it haha. since i dont have the money for a Bumper & tire carrier figured i'd make one myself. and i also have to figure out how to mount a gas can holder and a HiLift.

edit: if enough people are interested i might start making and selling them

heres the plan i made in 3D sketch up so far.
NEW
Gerrycan holder:

OLD

Last edited by TwistedcaB-; 10-08-2008 at 01:31 AM..
TwistedcaB- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think you'll like it, so just make it and send it to me. I'll let you know after I test it if you should make you one.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
TwistedcaB-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

haha. wellif you want i've been thinin bout maybe makin a couple and selling them. im not sure on the price. probally not to much. but would you be interested?
Unread 10-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
racerdrew

I would take one in a heartbeat!!! I would extend the bottom tube that goes into the mount just enough to put in the shackle mount plugs. Idea was mentioned in your inspirational thread.

Spend the extra little time to make the angles sit in close with the body lines of the jeep and you would have yourself a seller.

Possible make the gas can mount and high lift an option but not a one size fits all. Good sellin point to get a little extra on sales as well....
racerdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
TwistedcaB-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

i sent you a PM racerdrew
Unread 10-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
95_TSi_AWD
1991 XJ Cherokee 

on the bottom tube going into the hitch add a anti rattle piece. look up some of the aftermarket hitch mounted carriers to see what i mean but basicly cut the tube at an angle leave both pieces with a long bolt coming out to draw the angled pieces against each other and make it tight in the reciever so its more solid. this will let you mount it closer to the body too since it wont move around as much.
95_TSi_AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
TwistedcaB-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

that'd prob work. but idk if i could get a 12" bolt haha
Unread 10-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It would be great for the non wheelers, but it would be bad for departure angle for the wheelers since it would sit so low. If you could find a way to have it tilt/curve upwards, that would work better. My .02.
Cherokeegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedcaB- View Post
that'd prob work. but idk if i could get a 12" bolt haha
you can buy threaded rods. Just get the nuts and whatnot that fit it and your golden.
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
TwistedcaB-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

i'll have to look into that. where would i go bout looking for those?
Unread 10-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #11
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

industrial supply stores will be like a Wal-mart for the little things and you might find some stuff that will cut out some work for ya.

Good idea. Ill keep this one close might think about something like youve got brewing...
-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-
broncofire75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
TwistedcaB-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeegrrl View Post
It would be great for the non wheelers, but it would be bad for departure angle for the wheelers since it would sit so low. If you could find a way to have it tilt/curve upwards, that would work better. My .02.
well i have a way to make the clearance better so if that is the non sellign point on someone not wanting one it could be easily fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofire75 View Post
industrial supply stores will be like a Wal-mart for the little things and you might find some stuff that will cut out some work for ya.

Good idea. Ill keep this one close might think about something like youve got brewing...
ok cool thanks man, i'll have to se if i can go grab one of those
Unread 10-06-2008, 05:44 AM   #13
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

I like the idea. It is going to have to tuck way in, and perhaps an an angle so as not to (badly) affect departure angle. I use a D ring on a receiver for recovery and it drags the ground even though it only sticks out of the hitch a couple of inches (and not past the bumper). Let's picture your design installed on a Jeep in a mild climb such as this:

I'm afraid it would be dug in hard.

My other concerns would be that it would preclude the use of the 2" receiver for recovery (such as the aforementioned D ring) or for towing w/o having to remove it (and then where would your spare/gas/jack go?). Just food for thought.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #14
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

yup, that's what I was thinking mecompco. I'd really be interested to see how the design could be altered to accommodate the wheeler. Been needing a place to put my own spare since the trunk is full and I am just not in a position to put out $700 for the bumper/carrier I want. This would be a great compromise if not for the concerns mentioned. The recovery point is not a big deal as he can extend the lower piece somewhat. That, however ruins the departure angle even more. I have a hitch mount bike carrier that is designed to retain the use of the hitch, but of course that's so much less you can carry. Not a deal breaker though since I don't tow anything with my XJ.

If he extends the arm from out of one of the open side of the hitch frame it would serve 2 purposes: center tow point still available, and tire no longer blocks rear view. Or conversely he could weld arms out from both sides of the hitch and use those as 2 D-ring mounts, leaving the center for the tire carrier. Cons: still doesn't address the departure angle, and I prefer a center pull on my unibody rather that from any one side. But we have to make sacrifices.

Last edited by Cherokeegrrl; 10-06-2008 at 06:17 AM..
Cherokeegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #15
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

Could you weld a d ring tab directly to the end of it? (this pic is not to scale)

ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.