High pitched whine when I let off the gas. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > High pitched whine when I let off the gas.

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

High pitched whine when I let off the gas.

I have a 98 xj with a straight six. When ever I let up on the gas pedal I hear a high pitch whining. As soon as I hit the has even in the slightest it goes away. I did just have a new exhaust system put in so its actually a lot quieter so I dont know if it was there before as well. Any thoughts?

deitzberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deitzberg View Post
I have a 98 xj with a straight six. When ever I let up on the gas pedal I hear a high pitch whining. As soon as I hit the has even in the slightest it goes away. I did just have a new exhaust system put in so its actually a lot quieter so I dont know if it was there before as well. Any thoughts?
Is this with the Jeep in motion, or standing still? Is the whining definately coming from the engine?

November 4th, Don't forget to take the trash out

If we have data, letís look at data. If all we have are opinions, letís go with mine.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Both. Its not the belt I just replaced it a few thousand miles ago and I just made sure it was tight. It seems like it is coming from the front.
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you hear it while the Jeep is not in motion, try raising the hood and adjust the throttle by hand while listening for the whining. Sounds like a vacuum leak in a way, but could be the power steering pump, water pump, or anything in motion.

November 4th, Don't forget to take the trash out

If we have data, letís look at data. If all we have are opinions, letís go with mine.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Winterwheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

A family 87 Cherokee Laredo also produces a high pitched whistling sound at idle once it's warmed up. Someone suggested it could be a leaking intake manifold gasket. I would like to know how to diagnose this issue and get info on how urgent it might be to deal with.
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hate to say this but a high pitched whine when you are running down the road and let off, usually means ring and pinion gears are worn.
Unread 12-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterwheeler View Post
A family 87 Cherokee Laredo also produces a high pitched whistling sound at idle once it's warmed up. Someone suggested it could be a leaking intake manifold gasket. I would like to know how to diagnose this issue and get info on how urgent it might be to deal with.
that is what I am leaning towards as well. I just had the exhaust manifold replaced. I read somewhere that the bolt in the back sometimes comes loose a hair and causes the sound. I just sucks that I had the work done in ohio and I cant take it back for them to deal with it since I am in PA next to jersey.
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I just got done tightening all the bolts on the exhaust/ intake manifold. I let it warm up for 10 minutes and drove it for another 10 and I dont hear the noise. Hopefully that was the cure. I did find one bolt against the firewall on top that was a little loose. I will check back in at the end of the week for the final decision.
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Name
1999 XJ Cherokee 

@winterwheeler the easiest way to figure out if you have a vaccum leak is to start it, pop the hood, and spray the engine bay down with some carb cleaner or something similar. If it revs up you have a leak somewhere
Name is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
OnTheFence

Can you take a photo of the exhaust/ intake manifold bolt that was loose?
I hear this is common. I'd like to check mine!
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I will post one tomorrow afternoon.
Unread 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

EDIT: deleted unnecessary reply
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 liter , 98 jeep cherokee , whining noise , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.