high output alternator for my xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > high output alternator for my xj

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
xj_army
1999 XJ Cherokee 

high output alternator for my xj

I need a high output alternator for my xj. Looked and looked, and found mean green alternators but they dont seem to offer one for my year xj. Any ideas???

'99 xj 4.0

xj_army is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Rollin
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_army View Post
I need a high output alternator for my xj. Looked and looked, and found mean green alternators but they dont seem to offer one for my year xj. Any ideas???

'99 xj 4.0
V8 ZJ alt is 146 amps which should be plenty for whatever you are running. Needs little modification. I think you need to shave a little bit off your bracket and it then bolts right in.

84k Miles

Imported from Detroit
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
xj_army
1999 XJ Cherokee 

is 146 enough to run a 12k winch at an idle? and alos what year zj and how difficult is it to grind off part of the bracket?
Unread 10-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

The alternator on my big rig won't run a 12k winch at idle, or anywhere else for that matter. As an example, big rigs will normally run @140 amp alt. but have 4 batteries with 1000cca each. See the point I am making?
The winch uses battery power. The alternator just keeps the battery topped off.
A high quality battery and a regular alternator will do just fine, I have never replaced an alternator due to winching but always run a quality battery.
If you want a higher output alternator, then fine, but never expect it to run a winch.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
xj_army
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
The alternator on my big rig won't run a 12k winch at idle, or anywhere else for that matter. As an example, big rigs will normally run @140 amp alt. but have 4 batteries with 1000cca each. See the point I am making?
The winch uses battery power. The alternator just keeps the battery topped off.
A high quality battery and a regular alternator will do just fine, I have never replaced an alternator due to winching but always run a quality battery.
If you want a higher output alternator, then fine, but never expect it to run a winch.

Martin
IM running triple batteries with 1000 cca each. An alternator not designed for more then one battery will die very quickly i frun in a system with more then one battery. I was going to run the winch and lights off the 2 extra batteries through a isolator but I dont know if my stock alternator will be able to hold the volts up if I had to use my winch a close to max capacity. Im prolly worrying more then I need to just dont wana be stuck on the trail and have the alternator stop working cuz I over worked it. And a new one is like $200.

And Rollin, the v8 zj alternators only put out 90 amps so not sure where your getting your info from.
Unread 10-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dont know what to tell ye there bud.
I have never had a single issue with 1 optima and a standard alternator.
If you want the extra weight and hassle of 3 batteries, your call.
One thing I do agree with you though, you are over thinking it.
And one thing......I have never ran into an alternator that "knows" if it charging one battery or four. So I haven't a clue where that "knowledge" comes from. Every time I have replaced an alternator on a big rig (where they come with anywhere from 1 to 4 batteries), I have never been asked how many batteries I have. Same alternator for each setup.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
xj_army
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
Dont know what to tell ye there bud.
I have never had a single issue with 1 optima and a standard alternator.
If you want the extra weight and hassle of 3 batteries, your call.
One thing I do agree with you though, you are over thinking it.
And one thing......I have never ran into an alternator that "knows" if it charging one battery or four. So I haven't a clue where that "knowledge" comes from. Every time I have replaced an alternator on a big rig (where they come with anywhere from 1 to 4 batteries), I have never been asked how many batteries I have. Same alternator for each setup.

Martin
Just something Ive come across searching. Dont remember where I saw it just wasnt sure if it was true or not. And I would think with the isolator it would make it even easier because of the extra batteries. The original is gona stay charged cuz its not getting any extra pull then normal so then the alternator shouldnt have to work hard at all to keep 2 others charged when they are huge batteries. I dont see where a winch could drain them enough and fast enough to hurt the alternator. But that was just stuff I read. I think I should be fine considering, how often will i even use my winch.

But thanks for the input guys

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.