high oil pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > high oil pressure

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
mattjlin
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

high oil pressure

My oil pressure guage says I'm running over 80psi! Is this something to worry about? It just started reading like this today. Motor sounds fine, idle is fine,doesn't really seem any different. Any ideas about whats happening?

mattjlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjlin
My oil pressure guage says I'm running over 80psi! Is this something to worry about? It just started reading like this today. Motor sounds fine, idle is fine,doesn't really seem any different. Any ideas about whats happening?
Most common cause of that is a bad pressure sending unit.

Can be replaced for about $25. It's located directly above the oil filter. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to change

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Suggest you rent (deposit refund) a mechanic's diagnostic oil pressure gauge from O'reilly, advance, etc., auto parts store and check your oil pressure - before investing in an oil pressure sendor.

November 4th, Don't forget to take the trash out

If we have data, letís look at data. If all we have are opinions, letís go with mine.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Could be a bad sending unit.

However, when I had high oil presure in my 96 XJ, it was a clogged K&N oil filter (that was not due to be changed yet).
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

This is why I just dumped the sender. Mine was located at the oil galley port right next to cylinder 1. I had to pull the Alternator and Compressor to get even get to it. I just dumped the sender and went to a mechanical gauge mounted under the dash. :-)
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

High filtration filters like K & N and others that filter smaller than normal particles, are prone to clogging.

Wix filters or Napa Gold filters are the best IMO and priced right. They filter as small a particles as makes sense, but no smaller.

Note: Napa Gold are made by Wix. Same filter.

Buy Wix brand. It's less money than paying Napa for same filter.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
BigBadWuf
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hastings is also a great oil filter brand, and if you have fisher auto parts where you live there filters are hastings but like $3 cheaper. Thats what i run, used to run purolater but there quality has declined lately. ( no drainback valve) i dont know how much that matters on 4.0s but on my nissan with a brand new motor it would always make it tick on startup, switched to hastings and never had a problem again.
BigBadWuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
mattjlin
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

my oil filter is an stp. anyone have any issues with these?
mattjlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjlin View Post
my oil filter is an stp. anyone have any issues with these?
Those are pretty bad. They have felt end-caps that are poorly adhered to the filter-media and poor anti-drain back valves. WIX, Moper, Purolator, Napa Gold (rebranded-WIX) are generally the recommended filter brands. If you want to go with an oversized filter the Motocraft (Ford) FL-1A is also an excellent option (This filter is used on the Ford 302, it is the same diameter as the standard Mopar filter but much longer/taller giving a larger capacity).
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
oil psi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.