High mileage maintenance and other questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > High mileage maintenance and other questions

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
tylersTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

High mileage maintenance and other questions

Just got a 98 cherokee with 162k miles. Compared to the other jeeps ive driven with miles like this, this one runs very strong. Ive noticed that as the miles get higher the engine starts to run a little weaker. For example i had a 93 cherokee with 230k miles and it ran very weak. It was the most reliable vehicle ive ever known but the engine was very weak compared to a new 4.0. Now the guy i bought if from said he bought it himself around 130k miles and he has been using high milelage oil since then. Could this have any effect on the engine performance? Also he said while having it he didnt drive it much. He claimed to own it for 6 years and put about 10k miles on it each year. Could his light use on the jeep have an effect on the engine performance? Basically i would like to know what you guys think the reason for this engine running as strong as it is and what can i do to keep the engine running strong and get the longest life out of the engine. Should they all still have a lot of power left at this mileage range? Sorry to all if this may be a stupid question.

tylersTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
altrocker1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

good maintenance seems to be the key...not that i've always been the best about keeping my 98 in tip top shape. i've got 227k on the clock and my xj runs just as strong as the day i bought it. some times it still surprises me when i put my foot down that my engine is still that strong. i am also a big believer that you have to run the engine hard now and again just to make sure
altrocker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm now at 182,000 miles, and mine seems to run as strong as it did new (I'm the original owner). I think it depends more on how you take care of the engine vs how many miles. As far as what I've done, changed the oil every 3,000 with QS dino (I'm not a brand fan, just seems like a good oil for the price at Wal-Mart), change the plugs (every 40,000 to 50,000) with the Champion type it rolled out of the factory with, and air filter about once every 12 months. Drain out old coolant flush with water, then replace with new every 3-4 years.
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
RamboPants
1987 XJ Cherokee 

My 87 had 130k on it when i got it and it now has 230k i have all ways used high mileage oil [castrol gtx works the best] and trans fluid and it has always ran strong. Just change it every 3,000 miles or so or when it starts turning black.
RamboPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Got 220 Kmi on mine and I can leave behind most cars. The 4.0 Jeep can take pretty much anything as long as you change the oil (I usually do it before 3 Kmi when it starts getting dirtier and thicker) and oil filter. Air filter every 6 months. I run Castrol GTX high mileage and also get the Castrol branch for ATF. I've used different oils in the past, but will never switch brand again.

The only difference between the high mileage and regular is the additives that protect from wear. The wear on High mileage vehicles is different from newer engines. But that's pretty much it, it's basically the same oil. It won't affect performance as long as you compare the same viscosity.

If you run weak you must have a problem and may need a tune up. After the basics (filters, plugs, ...) look into what could be a bad sensor, corrosion on the battery cables, or something else is wrong. I could also be how thick the oil you use. If you go above 10W30, this will affect performance negatively... and no that's a great question I like it.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 05:19 AM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

*Fluids, fluids, fluids. Did I mention fluids?? They are the lifeblood of your vehicle.

And that means all fluids. Oil, coolant, transmission, transfer case, differentials. Fluids are cheap and dollar for dollar, the best investment you can make.

*Keep up with tuneup hardware. Plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor.

The actual type of oil you use has less to do with longevity than reasonable oil change "intervals". Pick a name brand, stick with it and use the right viscosity.
tjwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Mine is low mileage 101k , but at 11 years old I'm surprised at how powerful this thing still is! I've driven many 4.0s, but this one is the highest mileage and it's just as strong as any of the new TJs we had.

I managed to break the tires lose the other day while rolling ... I have never had a vehicle that could do that.
Unread 04-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
tylersTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone, this helps. I'll be sure to keep up with all the different maintenance you guys have suggested. Hope she runs forever!
tylersTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
MegaAlan
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
*Fluids, fluids, fluids. Did I mention fluids?? They are the lifeblood of your vehicle.

And that means all fluids. Oil, coolant, transmission, transfer case, differentials. Fluids are cheap and dollar for dollar, the best investment you can make.

*Keep up with tuneup hardware. Plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor.

The actual type of oil you use has less to do with longevity than reasonable oil change "intervals". Pick a name brand, stick with it and use the right viscosity.
don't forget your air and fuel filters. Air filters are more important than most people think, and same for fuel filters. Sucking little particles of dirt into the motor is like taking sand paper to the valves and cylinders. Neglected fuel filters will cause a lift pump to work harder and cause it to stop working, and also clog or damage your injectors. I have seen alot of this at the shop, and even my own that I have neglected. It's not so much the brands of fluids or filters as having correct ones installed @ timely maint. I'm sure that the other guys that have posted on this figured it out the hard way, or knows someone like me that has. These 4.0's have the capability to outlast the Jeep, if maintained on a regular basis. Good luck and enjoy!
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

97-01 have fuel filters that are part of the fuel pump "assembly", located inside the gas tank. The fuel filter is not replaced preventively as earlier models were. I don't replace them unless testing or symptoms point directly to them. And then, I usually replace the entire assembly, as long as I have the gas tank down, as the other components in the fuel pump assembly are long in the tooth as well, and failure of those may not be far behind.
tjwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
MegaAlan
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
97-01 have fuel filters that are part of the fuel pump "assembly", located inside the gas tank. The fuel filter is not replaced preventively as earlier models were. I don't replace them unless testing or symptoms point directly to them. And then, I usually replace the entire assembly, as long as I have the gas tank down, as the other components in the fuel pump assembly are long in the tooth as well, and failure of those may not be far behind.
Helps to pay attn to the year, nice catch
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
wigan50
1988 XJ Cherokee 

High Mileage

Have a 1988 Cherokee Pioneer, 4 liter 6 with 400,241 miles. Original owner and original engine. Changed oil every 3,000 miles, high mileage for the past 200,000 miles. Engine weaker over past 50,000 miles, but still passed CA smog for the 11th straight time! Trans oil not changed in 200,000 miles - but still looks like a strawberry soda! - no slipping.
wigan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #13
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaAlan View Post
don't forget your air and fuel filters. Air filters are more important than most people think, and same for fuel filters. Sucking little particles of dirt into the motor is like taking sand paper to the valves and cylinders.
Remember this next tiem you are tempted to put on a "high flow" filter like a K&N. They will let dirt in, as they dont filter as much. The paper filter was the design intent, and its cheap.

After 265K, my timing chain was stretched. Putting a new one in made a bit of difference. Teh butt dyno says it did a good job.

Tags
4.0 , high mileage , oil , oil change

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.