High flow or standard oil pump??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > High flow or standard oil pump???

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

View Poll Results: what should I do about my oil pump?
replace it with a standard flow pump 13 40.63%
go with the high flow pump 15 46.88%
drive the HEEP off of a cliff and start over 2 6.25%
other - be specific with options 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 01-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

High flow or standard oil pump???

Ok, so I've searched and searched and read and read a million thoughts on what oil pump to use, but I just get more confused and feel like I'm running in circles here.

So, I'm just going to take a poll. Feel free to give me your .02 as well.

I want to replace my pump to see if it will clear up my low oil pressure issues. I picked up a standard flow one tonight, but have to run back to the parts store to pick up the pickup tube anyway, so should I keep the standard pump or exchange it for the high flow one?

koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

Well, you already voted for the high flow one.

I think you should. You will not have to replace it again. Plus, the 4.0 could use the extra pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

hahahaha.....yeah, but I'm still on the fence. I had to vote one way or another, so that I could see the other votes.
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
93_xj

I voted other. you are a noob and need to search the forums for you low oil pressue issues.
93_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_xj View Post
I voted other. you are a noob and need to search the forums for you low oil pressue issues.

I've searched through and read just about every thread there is on the subject I know that sometimes a heavier oil can put a bandaid on the real issue, but it had no affect either way on mine. I also know that the majority of people that give advice in these threads all point their fingers to bearing clearances. Well... i if that ends up being the issue then I'll deal with it at that time by either trying to replace bearings or source a used motor.

BUT>......

I would like to give the oil pump a shot with my fingers crossed hoping that's all that it is. The reason I'm clinging to this hope is that I didn't have any oil pressure issues when I first got it until I changed the oil and threw some seafoam in it. My thought is that I broke a bunch of ****e free and it is either clogging the oil pump screen or that some gunk got in the oil pump itself and causing it to fail.

So, if you just want to tell me to search you can save your energy from typing and just move along to another thread, but if you actually want to give me your .02 then I really appreciate your time and help.

Unread 01-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
7urtle
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
I've searched through and read just about every thread there is on the subject I know that sometimes a heavier oil can put a bandaid on the real issue, but it had no affect either way on mine. I also know that the majority of people that give advice in these threads all point their fingers to bearing clearances. Well... i if that ends up being the issue then I'll deal with it at that time by either trying to replace bearings or source a used motor.

BUT>......

I would like to give the oil pump a shot with my fingers crossed hoping that's all that it is. The reason I'm clinging to this hope is that I didn't have any oil pressure issues when I first got it until I changed the oil and threw some seafoam in it. My thought is that I broke a bunch of ****e free and it is either clogging the oil pump screen or that some gunk got in the oil pump itself and causing it to fail.

So, if you just want to tell me to search you can save your energy from typing and just move along to another thread, but if you actually want to give me your .02 then I really appreciate your time and help.

if thats your isse i say try a stock one
[URL="[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url]"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url][/URL] -[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]1UMF[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] a really slow build. bruised and never left the street
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]WTB: rear bumper/tire carrier,31" tires,armor[/COLOR]
7urtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
Haleyrz
1998 ZJ 

im no expert, but I think you are onto something with the seafoam breaking loose sludge and clogging something. I vote high flow. Like buckeye said, could use the extra bit, aaand.....if you ever did aftermarket internals or build a full on stroker for whatever reason, you've already got the pump.
1996 ZJ Laredo, 5.2L V8, 3" Kolak exhaust, K&N FIPK, 4300K HID's, Sold

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...27&ref=profile
Haleyrz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7urtle View Post
if thats your isse i say try a stock one
that was my original plan, but then I was reading MORE and everything I read just goes back and forth...

"NO WAY... you can't run a high flow pump. Don't do it...." blah blah blah

"I just installed a high flow pump and it's great. I have no issues. All of my problems have been solved and the world is a wonderful place:

That's why I'm torn.
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ok.... I went last night and exchanged the standard flow pump and new pickup tube/screen for the HV Pump which already comes with the tube/screen. I ended up getting $1.44 back

Now I'm just procrastinating on doing the work and contemplating maybe waiting until Friday when I'll have 3 days off to mess with it. If I do it now I'll need to have it back in working order for work tomorrow night.
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_xj View Post
ok? 30 posts, didnt you read he searched and wants some advice. Help him out, its not that hard to do.

Ive got the same issue and when i talked to my mechanic he said go with heavier oil for now thats what im doing. I have read that oil pumps are supposed to outlast the motor, so a standard one might not be what you need.

With that i voted high flow pump.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
eshew
1993 ZJ 

You dont need a high vol pump. The pumps in the ol 4.0's have been known to get iffy above 150k so a replacememt is a good idea. The high vol one is totally overkill, could suck too much oil leaving the pan dry. May require modification to get it.

If you were running a race motor with large oil pan capacity then the high vol may be needed, but a new stock one will be just fine.

Everyone gets a stiffy when they hear about anything high volume so I'd take the poll results with a grain of salt and talk to an expert, maybe give a professional engine builder a call for advice.
eshew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I think that you should maybe freshen up the bearings as long as you have the oil pan off. It's not hard to do, and could really extend the life of the engine.

As far as the pump goes, I don't know that the high volume will "fix" anything any better than a new standard pump, but if its not much more to upgrade, I would probably go for it.
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
lollygagger8
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgramann View Post
I think that you should maybe freshen up the bearings as long as you have the oil pan off. It's not hard to do, and could really extend the life of the engine.
^yeah that^

I'm replacing my rear main and oilpan gasket SOON, and I plan on doing the bearings and oil pump (regular stock, no need for high volume) when I'm in there. With 140k miles on mine, it's dumb not to since I'm already in there.

If you have low pressure, hopefully it's something easy like your stock pump screen is clogged. I don't really see the need for a high flow when you replace it though. It's not a high HP racing motor. Plus it could suck too much oil at extreme angles while you are wheeling leaving the pan dry. <- not good
Unread 01-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
B_Mabus
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshew View Post
You dont need a high vol pump. The pumps in the ol 4.0's have been known to get iffy above 150k so a replacememt is a good idea. The high vol one is totally overkill, could suck too much oil leaving the pan dry. May require modification to get it.

If you were running a race motor with large oil pan capacity then the high vol may be needed, but a new stock one will be just fine.

Everyone gets a stiffy when they hear about anything high volume so I'd take the poll results with a grain of salt and talk to an expert, maybe give a professional engine builder a call for advice.
Dude there is no way your going to suck all the oil up. Where is 6 quarts going to go? Oil passages are small. As well are the stems. There is no way a HV pump would suck all the oil up. Plus there are bigger passages to prevent such a thing happening. Ever know someone running on 3 quarts? How do they not have the 3 quarts being sucked up? And even if that was true the "oil film" left behind still has lubrication properties. My vote would be to go with the HV. Theres no way its going to harm the engine.
'94 XJ 145,xxx WHITE...current ride

Nothing runs like a Renix
B_Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
ok? 30 posts, didnt you read he searched and wants some advice. Help him out, its not that hard to do.

Ive got the same issue and when i talked to my mechanic he said go with heavier oil for now thats what im doing. I have read that oil pumps are supposed to outlast the motor, so a standard one might not be what you need.

With that i voted high flow pump.
Thanks man

If you read above I already exchanged the pump I bought last week for a HV pump and ended up saving $1.44

For those of you saying that the HV is overkill or just not needed..... where were you the past few days before I made my decision I'm installing it tonight and will let you know how it goes. I'll post up in here to check out the build thread in my sig when I get done. I might not finish until tomorrow ..... that is, if I ever even get started. Family....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.