HiCountry tow mounts: welding pros, take a look.. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > HiCountry tow mounts: welding pros, take a look..

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #31
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC_xj View Post
An update: I finally installed them. However, I didn't touch the welds.

I had my friend's dad take a look at the mounts. He said that even though they look pretty ****ty, the welds themselves aren't that bad, and that they are structurally sound. Seeing as he's a millwright, I took his word for it.
Not harping on your friends dad but, I ran these pics by my father in law (20 year pipe fitter/welder) my buddy that helps me with some jobs (15 year structural steel welder) and a few friends on welding web whom have 30-40 years between them.

They all said those welds are poop. Only a few of them actually have the penetration for structural support. The others are thin and high on top of the plates.

While they may hold, I would never use em honestly. I wouldn't want to chance it.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #32
thetank
1998 XJ Cherokee 

im a welder and if my welds looked like that i would not have a job long. those look really poor i dont know how somebody could sell those to anybody else looking like that. my .02
Unread 04-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #33
cahlheim
2000 XJ Cherokee 

According to HiCountry, the welder was a new employee (and since terminated). They offered to send me pics of the brackets before shipping so I could approve them.
Here are the results.

cahlheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #34
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

Well those look pretty damn good.

An update: I used mine a few weeks ago, and they worked like they were supposed to.
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #35
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahlheim View Post
According to HiCountry, the welder was a new employee (and since terminated). They offered to send me pics of the brackets before shipping so I could approve them.
Here are the results.
Still wonder how much more it would cost them to do a weld across the entire joint instead of the little 1-1.5" spots...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #36
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
Still wonder how much more it would cost them to do a weld across the entire joint instead of the little 1-1.5" spots...
< $1.00

Weak!
Unread 04-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #37
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

personally, would take them in somewhere and have a full bead put on. if you cant weld yourself

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #38
barrys
1985 CJ7 

I got a set of these in a box in my garage. I'll have to see how the welds look on mine. I bought them 2nd hand, NIB, so I couldn't send them back if the welds were crap. If they look that bad, I have a small snap-on MIG that would do the job to help strengthen them, also have a friend with a BIG MIG that WOULD work. I have a used pair of Rusty'd but have heard they aren't great, plus I like the D-ring idea over hooks so I picked up the Hi-country ones.
barrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #39
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Those are practically tack welds.
That's the first thing that I thought. It looks like someone started the job and then never finished it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahlheim View Post
Here are the results.
Those look better, but as others have said, I can't imagine any reason why they didn't just run a full bead down the joints instead of a bunch of little spot welds. It doesn't seem like they take a whole lot of pride in their product.
JPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #40
Nofrag
1989 XJ Cherokee 

So I'll explain this because alot of guys don't understand. The welder/fitter reads the blueprint, he doesn't make the blueprint. What you are seeing is a very standard weld that is actually common. Yes they could have carried the weld all the way across, but then the welder wouldn't work there very long. Because QC would be throwing out alot of warped and weakened steel. Or he would be fired for taking 3 times as long to complete a piece, because of waiting for it to cool. Or he would be fired for deviating from the blueprint.

I can't remember the name of the weld, it's been a while since I was in school, but that weld is correct. 2 inch welds, spaced 2 inches apart, are hardly spot welds.
Nofrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #41
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nofrag View Post
So I'll explain this because alot of guys don't understand. The welder/fitter reads the blueprint, he doesn't make the blueprint. What you are seeing is a very standard weld that is actually common. Yes they could have carried the weld all the way across, but then the welder wouldn't work there very long. Because QC would be throwing out alot of warped and weakened steel. Or he would be fired for taking 3 times as long to complete a piece, because of waiting for it to cool. Or he would be fired for deviating from the blueprint.

I can't remember the name of the weld, it's been a while since I was in school, but that weld is correct. 2 inch welds, spaced 2 inches apart, are hardly spot welds.
Are you thinking of stitch welds?

I dont think everyone is hating on the specific welder for the stitch welds, but the fact that the company is OK with just that. Personally if I was told to make those I would tell the company you need to either have them fully welded, or I would quit. I would not be apart of it. Sure there is a little more work in it, but why not take the extra work to make a superior quality product without any more design work?

As far as I am concerned if you can do better - do better. There is NO excuse for not doing the best you can do.

And I am not saying that those brackets wont work or are not strong enough, just they could be better.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 06:34 AM   #42
ScottHightower

BAD weld

These are definitely poor welds.

Undercut in some areas.
Poor penetration in others.

Not sure how the guy could call himself a welder.

As is this part will fail in time. Re-weld or replace!!!

Scott
Fab Manager
Welders360
ScottHightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #43
Fire-XJ
1982 CJ2A 

I've had a set now for about 18 months. Have used them at least a dozen times and never had an issue. I've yanked on stumps, other jeeps, a tow truck, and a fire truck. They are welded in the same spots but with with much better welds.

Give Hicountry a chance to make it right.
Fire-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #44
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

I agree that the second set of pics looks better, and hopefully they did terminate that employee. I can see the point of stitch welding. Learning to weld myself last weekend, even thick steel (3/16 or 1/4) can warp if you give it continuous heat. That doesn't end up being very helpful when bolt holes need to line up. Man, I would hope that there were only a few sets that got out like that first one.
74 Nova - 2" drop and disc conv. Sold.
My videos
tizzdizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #45
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nofrag hit the nail on the head about stitch welds.
They are VERY commonly used in many structural applications from small to big.

#1 ..it keeps from warping the material from excessive heat caused from long welds
#2..it also keeps from putting alot of stress into the lighter material and weakining the HAZ

Most of those wirefeed manufacturing weldor's and machines run a 70 series wire,which means it will withstand 70,000 Ibs per square inch if welded right.

Those peices should of NEVER even got out the door...

I wonder if the guy was just bull**** you for the fact not only did the weldor do crappy work,but it had to of passed through their so called QC's hands and they approved it to go to powder coating.

They should of ALL been terminated,not just the in-expereinced weldor....but i have my doubts any of them have been so called terminated at all for the fact the owners and/or their inspectors/QC let it slip out the door and sold to the public.......

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d ring mounts , hi country , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.