Hesitation with low fuel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hesitation with low fuel

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
matt62

Hesitation with low fuel

I have a 98 cherokee 4.0. I've had some hesitation with the engine cutting out upon acceleration, especially with the shift from first to second gear, when my fuel is low. I also have the engine cutting out when I corner, or when I go around a pretty sharp curve. This is all with low fuel. It doesn't have to be quite as low When I'm cornering. I'm assuming this is some kind of fuel filter issue? I put a couple bottles of heat in, and it didn't seem to do make a difference. Any ideas?

matt62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check for wire harness issues under the hood and at the fuel pump. Test the fuel pressure. You should have 49 +/- 5 psi of fuel pressure.

It is possible that you have a fuel pump issue such as a loose or clogged filter or a dislodged fuel pick up.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

How low is "low"?
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
matt62

Pretty low. For the cornering thing below an 1/8, for the acceleration thing, just above the E-line. Maybe a gallon and a half or 2 of fuel. Is when it starts. I was thinking sediment or fuel filter, but I wanted to see if there was some other idea before I pull the tank.
Unread 09-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You are probably going to end up pulling the tank. And if you do this, I'd have a fresh fuel pump assembly ready to install. My favorite is Bosch, followed by Carter. You get what you pay for with fuel pump assemblies. Do not buy an "el-cheapo" or a "no-name" unit and do not buy an Airtex. That is unless you like doing things twice....

BTW, not a good idea in my opinion to run your gas tank that low. Both for picking up sediment and cooling. Fuel is what cools your fuel pump. As a matter of course, I don't go below 1/8th of a tank before refilling.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
matt62

Thanks. I usually fill whenever I get remotely low, but twice I haven't. But on cornering, it doesn't have to be super low. That's the weird thing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.