Here's my first car. Tell me what you think. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Here's my first car. Tell me what you think.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
AnthonyZ28
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Here's my first car. Tell me what you think.

Me and my mom had been searching for my first car for a while and came across a 93 Jeep Cherokee Sport and decided to get it. We got it for 3300 and here is everything I know of that it has.

32x11.5 BFG MT tires with black rock crawler wheels. About 30% tread left, which is a lot of miles remaining for BFG tires.
Dana 44 rear axle from a Jeep Grand Cherokee with Detroit Locker and 4.56 gears.
Front axle rebuilt with 4.56 gears, open differential and extreme duty u-joints. New bearings, u-joints and seals on front axle in late 2010.
Freshly rebuilt AX-15 manual transmission with fresh Luk clutch and slave cylinder.
Freshly rebuilt 4.0L engine with ported and polished head. This engine could have gone another 50k without a rebuild, but was done anyway.
Bored out throttle body.
New exhaust manifold and flowmaster muffler(does not have a catalytic converter on it)
Fuel Injectors were ultrasonically cleaned and benched during the rebuild process. New injector O-rings.
New ignition system(distributor, coil, wires, plugs)
New starter and alternator. Have cores which can be rebuilt for spares
New fuel pump(have the old one which still works for a spare)
Old Man Emu 5" suspension lift. Heavy duty shackles on the rear. Needs some bumpstops installed.
Bedlined interior, no carpet.
Tuffy oversized lock box in the rear. Makes great storage for tools and other valuables. 600$ value
Warn front bumper and winch
PIAA aux lights on the front bumper
Bushwacker fender flares
Rear spare tire carrier(has stock spare on it, not full size).Lots of spare parts.

I'm still getting used to the standard transmission but im getting the hang of it. The locker in the rear will also take some getting used to. But overall I'm extremely satisfied. Even though it has 199xxx miles (5k on the rebuilt engine) it runs awesome. Since Im not used to standard I can say much about the transmission but it seems fine. The interior is rough but im not big on the nice interior thing.

AnthonyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

looks great! id keep an eye on everything for the next couple of weeks( but i get paranoid easily.) great find!
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
JeepNE
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great deal. Always a good idea to change all the fluids right when you get a vehicle so you know how old they are and how long they'll be good for. Congrats!
JeepNE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
tarznatz

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Holy crap, that was my first car too, a 1993 base model 2dr Cherokee 4x4 in manual trans! Are you sure its a Sport though, as I thought those came out the following model year, and the Sport had the side stripe I believe...? Anyway, I loved that tin can! Have fun with it!

here's she is, right before I sold it, circa 1996-7

tarznatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
AnthonyZ28
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNE View Post
Great deal. Always a good idea to change all the fluids right when you get a vehicle so you know how old they are and how long they'll be good for. Congrats!
Good idea, I'll for sure be doing that next weekend!
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

awesome find, good deal also and good looking jeep.
Unread 02-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
ctnsupra1

Def a good deal. I've got almost the asking price alone in gears and axle work to have 4.56 gears in mine!
ctnsupra1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #8
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet ride man.
I paid I think $3500 for my 95 a few years ago. And it was bone stock.
If/when I get another XJ (anything else is out of the question if I can help it), I'm torn between going stock, and building all over, or buying one that's already built. Building is half the fun, though a pain in the wallet.
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
justanotherjpr

Nice find!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #10
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

The only thing that jumped out at me is it says a D44 from a Grand Cherokee. That would be a D44a, and the only lockers available are the Aussie and Spartan, no Detroit. Out of curiosity, did he provide receipts for all the work that was done?

Other than that it looks like a pretty nice first Jeep.
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #11
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow seems like a really decent jeep for a reasonable, good price. Congrats!
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
AnthonyZ28
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
The only thing that jumped out at me is it says a D44 from a Grand Cherokee. That would be a D44a, and the only lockers available are the Aussie and Spartan, no Detroit. Out of curiosity, did he provide receipts for all the work that was done?

Other than that it looks like a pretty nice first Jeep.
Well there are no receipts, but I did find a EATON/Detroit Locker tag in the rear of the jeep? Is there any way to make sure that the rear is a D44a from a Grand Cherokee?
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
AnthonyZ28
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarznatz View Post
Holy crap, that was my first car too, a 1993 base model 2dr Cherokee 4x4 in manual trans! Are you sure its a Sport though, as I thought those came out the following model year, and the Sport had the side stripe I believe...? Anyway, I loved that tin can! Have fun with it!

here's she is, right before I sold it, circa 1996-7

There's a decal on the left side saying Cherokee Sport? But besides that, that's pretty awesome!
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

First "car"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
AnthonyZ28
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
First "car"?
Yes i know -.- people have gave me a hard time about me saying that. But it stopped happening! lol

Tags
cherokee , jeep xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.