Herculine adhear to POR 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Herculine adhear to POR 15

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Herculine adhear to POR 15

I want to fix interior rust, and POR 15 everything then herculine...or do i just POR 15 ONLY bad rust sections?

3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
hermantherugger
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't have a ton of luck w/ the POR 15...if you use it, make sure to follow the directions "to a T". I'm guessing I didn't give it long enough to dry after cleaning it w/ the marine clean or something...but I've got a few spots of rust that wont stop bleeding through my bedliner.
hermantherugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
inmymindithink
1994 XJ Cherokee 

well ive heard nothing but good things about por 15, if you get both the liquids to prep like they suggest..and then prime it with good primer

and of course you gotta wire brush or sand blast the rust off, if you sand blast it make sure you put the marine clean and por 15 and all that stuff right after you sand blast, cause if anything touches the bare metal after sandblast it is rediculously easy to get rusted again..so i say once you have a off wake up early and do it all...thats what im doing now
inmymindithink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
inmymindithink
1994 XJ Cherokee 

what exactly are the steps you used hermantherugger?
Unread 11-22-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
jaburk

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmymindithink
and of course you gotta wire brush or sand blast the rust off
POR-15 actually works best when applied directly to rust. I have also applied it to bare metal that was production #60 sanded and etched with POR-15 metal ready. POR-15 is incredibly tough.
Unread 11-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
hermantherugger
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I sanded w/ 60 grit, then used the marine clean & metal ready. They require some water rinsing, and I'm not sure if I left the surface a little too damp or it was too humid when I applied it. I have spots of it here and there that are coming off in flakes, so I'm not sure about the whole thing. There's a note about if a drop of sweat gets in a gallon of the stuff it's ruined, so I'm guessing it's pretty finicky to apply.
hermantherugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
wbacon
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Por-15 is for rust only, it will flake off if you use it over painted surfaces. Do not use it over primer either. Use Por-15 first then use chassiscoat over the Por-15, Chassiscoat is for painted surfaces also. I used them both they are great products if used correctly.Don't get any on your skin it will take 2-3 weeks to wear off.
Unread 11-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbacon
Por-15 is for rust only, it will flake off if you use it over painted surfaces. Do not use it over primer either. Use Por-15 first then use chassiscoat over the Por-15, Chassiscoat is for painted surfaces also. I used them both they are great products if used correctly.Don't get any on your skin it will take 2-3 weeks to wear off.

I heard that if i take the paint off/ etch it and such with sand paper, that it will hold or even if i put it straight on a slightly rusty surface.

I was thinking about just POR 15-ing my entire tub instead of herculine now because its chip resistant and strong
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
inmymindithink
1994 XJ Cherokee 

well you cant put it on painted surfaces like they said..but if it just bare metal you can, you just have to follow the directions so carefully
Unread 11-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
wbacon
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I would use por 15 on the rust, chassiscoat on everything else. Then herc it all....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.