help with XJ lift and other adds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > help with XJ lift and other adds

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
XJforlife
1998 XJ Cherokee 

help with XJ lift and other adds

Im relatively new to the jeep scene. I own an XJ classic 4X4 automatic with the 4.0L and all the mechanical parts are stock (save the air filter). I wanna build it up and lift it to be a long distance driver that has some lift and aggression to it. Im a student at the ohio state university but I live in Alabama so I drive about 700 miles one way, so I wanna maintain road drivability while also having some bigger tires and a better trail stance and get a feel for everything i need to buy and change. Anyone got any ideas?

XJforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
motorheadmach1
1990 XJ Cherokee 

what do you plan on using the jeep for when your not on the road? mud,rocks,dirt roads etc.... i guess really it depends on how much money you want to spend. I would say if you lift it more than about 3" you have to start replacing alot more. ive had a daily driver forever thats 3" lift and 31" all terrain tires and its great.
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would either go with a 2" budget boost and 30x9.50 tires, or a 3" lift and 31" tires in your situation. The 30's would be more fuel mileage friendly though. With 31's and stock gears you can look forward to 15 miles per gallon or less.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
XJforlife
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Im looking to use it on snow, mud and gravel. Mainly for mild trailing when not on the road. I was thinking 3" but I dont know which one or what all I need to change to do a 3".
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
XJforlife
1998 XJ Cherokee 

any way to combat the mileage lost with 31s?
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Kitchen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

get an high flow exhaust setup, with a cold air intake?
Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kitchen-xj-build-1144692/[/url]

- 03 TJ Rubi
4 inches on 35 baja MTZs
Stock rubi stuff(D44s, lockers, skids, etc...)[/B]
Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
XJforlife
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Im planning on getting the exhaust replaced with a 2.5 inch this summer at a local shop with a delta 40 and high flow cat. Ive heard that replacing the mechanical fan is good to do. Any ideas?
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Kitchen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

im not sure about the fan. all ive done is, gutt my cat-converter, flowmaster 40, k&n cold air intake, e3 sparkplugs, royal purple oil, zmax engine additive, and a homebrewed hydrogen generator. ive seen a 8 mpg increase but when i get my bigger tires that will prolly go down a bit
Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kitchen-xj-build-1144692/[/url]

- 03 TJ Rubi
4 inches on 35 baja MTZs
Unread 02-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
XJforlife
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I think for gas mileage and cash the 2 inch may be the best option. Do i need to lower the transfer case for that and who builds the best kit? also, does anyone know a good bumper or grille guard for cheap? i wanna mount some running lights on it.
Unread 02-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
Kitchen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

if you go with a 2 inch you shouldnt need a t case drop kit.

- 03 TJ Rubi
4 inches on 35 baja MTZs
Unread 02-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
XJforlife
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What do you suggest for lights? I wanna run some on the roof. Also, what safari racks are best?
Unread 02-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
Green4dr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

at 2'' you may have some vibes but it is dueable. i have 2'' on 31s and i get some vibes around 70ish but then they go away. my gas mileage goes from 12-18. id say 2 or 3'' lift on 31s. especially if your just gunna do some snow and mud you dont need a lot of flex. and i am gunna be doing my exhaust soon also to a 2.5 but i only imagine that my mpg will drop due to me wantin to hear it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98xj-classic-springbreak-makeover-1344754
Green4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #13
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

General information about lifting Jeeps. As you go up you increase the air resistance that the jeep has on the highway. As you add bigger tires and wheels you also add weight that must be turned by the engine and moved down the road. all of this will decrease your mileage.
There isn't really any effective way to add weight and wind resistance and keep the same mileage. You can reduce the mileage loss by gearing changes and tuning and other things, but gravity is a constant and weight takes power to move.
In my build thread I recorded the changes that took place on the jeep from stock to 3 inches of lift, you can use the link in my signature if you want to see how I did things and what the results were and looked like.
Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #14
mosh-n-roll
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you look in the classifieds on this forum you could probably find a budget boost for cheap. Consists of coil spacers and extended shackles. Fairly easy to install, and there's a good chance you won't have any driveline vibrations, although every Jeep is different. Mine had this setup when I bought it and had no vibes. I sold my budget boost on this forum to some guy for $50 bucks including shipping...coil spacers were used, but the shackles were brand new rough country extended shackles. If you go this route its very cheap, and if you're willing to trim your fenders you could squeeze 31's under there too.

Sold - 98 4 door XJ, 4.0, AX15, 8.25 w/ Aussie, HP-D30 w/Aussie, 4" IRO lift, custom front bumper, 34x10.5 Super Swamper LTB's.
mosh-n-roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If I was in your situation:

1. 3" lift
2. JK rubicon take off moabs
3. lights in grill (less wind resistance than on roof)

I wouldnt go with a crazy mud tire, i would keep it to the M+S variety, like a cooper discoverer tread
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumpers , drivetrain , lifts , lights , tires

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.