Help wiring up WJ seats - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help wiring up WJ seats

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #16
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

yeah, like I said above.....it just says to hook all 6 wires from the passenger's side up to the like wires on the driver's side and the only two wires that NEED to be hooke up to your HEEP are the power and ground. Then the yelllow wire CAN be hooked up to your PCI.

I just hooked up the red/blue and black wires from the passenger's side straight up to the battery and had full function of all three motors. I put the seat on there to make sure it would have full range of motion. It's going to be tight, but it's going to work

I say go for it and get the WJ seats.

koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bringing your thread back from the dead. I installed WJ seats into my XJ recently, and was able to wire the passenger side seat up no problem. However the drivers side won't seem to work. I am using red and black wires as 12v power and ground but no luck. I was thinking possibly a bad recline seat switch or worst case scenario the motor. Also do you happen to know the wires used for the lumbar support?
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

No clue man. I actually just sold my front WJ seats a few months ago after having them sit around for a few years. I never got around to installing them, figured I wouldn't, and think I'm going to go the suspension seat route eventually. Good luck!
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #19
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks anyway
Unread 11-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #20
XJFrance

Revival of a dead thread, but has anyone successfully rewired the factory WJ seat heaters to be used in the XJ?

I know the WJ heaters have their flaws, and I know it is possible to add after market heaters. I was speaking to my father-in-law who is an Electrical Engineer, he felt pretty confident it would be possible to make a simple adapter to make everything play together nicely. He fabricates stuff like this frequently, and sells them to anyone interested typically, so if anyone has wiring diagrams for these seats, maybe we can make this mod a little more fruitful.

I am hoping a close to plug-n-play adapter can be made using the WJ harness, heater switch(s), "a magic box" and some leads for a power source.

Any info would be great.
XJFrance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #21
Tagg

The LINK attached to comment # 6 is what you are looking for.
Tagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #22
Unclejimbo
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Following for future project
Unclejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #23
XJFrance

That link does have some good info, especially for wire coloring. It however does not have everything we need to know. There are 4 wires for the seat heaters, has anyone figured out which each one does?

I have heard conflicting statements about how the temp is regulated. Some threads say there is thermistors, which if that was true they would pretty much self regulate. Some threads say there is a thermometer built i to the pad which then the control board uses to regulate. The second scenario makes more sense as to why there would be 4 wires. Instead of 2 or 3.
Unread 11-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #24
XJFrance

After doing a fair amount of making up diagrams and looking for hardware it seem to be like most people are saying, just get aftermarket seat heaters. It turns out that the seats I picked up did not have heaters anyways, which made my decision for me. It would be possible to use the seat heaters, but you would need: Relay, DC converter, heat sink, voltage regulator or programmable current limiter, and a switch. There is a more shade tree way of putting some in line voltage limiters which would heat up themselves, but is a little suspect. I am not sure if it would be possible to contact one of the seat companies, like Rostra, and ask for a new complete wiring loom. The hardware for the seats was going to be about $45-65 per seat, I was able to get aftermarket seat heaters for both front seats for $50 total shipped. Still pretty cheap considering its a much more comfortable seat, leather, has power recline and lumbar, adjustable head rest, and now heaters. Plus, that map pocket in the back of the seat is actually pretty handy since the XJs do not have much for cubby storage.

Sorry if this wasnt the solution we were hoping for, but at least its not overly expensive either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.