Help wiring up WJ seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help wiring up WJ seats

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Help wiring up WJ seats

Ok, round 3 for the attempt at getting these WJ seats in my XJ. I think it is doable. I just have to spend some time to get it worked out. i set the passenger side base in yesterday, but before I bolt it to the floor I want to get the power working to check out exactly where to put the base, so the seat can go forward and back without being obstructed.

SO, can anyone help me out with a wiring diagram or anything on these WJ seats? Pics would be HUGE help.

Thanks

koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

Red and black on the harness, green is ground. rest of the wires going into harness are not used. At least on mine that is the case.

i have about a foot of the harness before the connector to the seat, thats were i put power to test mine. inside that foot of harness is about 10 other wires. looking onthe back of the connector, none of the other wires pass through, only red, black and green.

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the quick reply Apostle. Ok, so you're talking about red, black, and green on the seat harness or what? I'll have to go look at it again. I was going to run my power straight from the fuse box and then just ground it to the seat mounting bolt. So, what is that....red power and green ground? Then what is black. Sorry....this is why I started a thread on this
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

I used red and black with a 12v charger. the green was there, figured it was a chasis ground of some sort (didnt really mess with it).

if you look under the seat, all you should see is red and black wires going from harness, to switches to motors.

do you have both sides of the power connector?

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, whoever removed these left the connector there and just cut the wires off on the other end. I'll post a pic here in a min on what I have....

Coming out of it are:

black
red/light blue
green/white
brown/white
pink/black
black/purple
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

Found this for you. black and red/blue are your power. if you have heated it has that info too

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Power and heated seats

–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I DO have heated. Thanks for the link.

Awesome....ok, so I just run all 6 wires to the driver's side like wires. Then from there I run black to ground, red to fused 12v, and the yellow to the pci bus. That's the only one I'm not positive on....the yellow one. What is it's purpose?
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

not sure, says its not used. may be a cutoff so the seats dont over heat, but thats just a guess.

–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

no...it just says that it's not used on the passenger side. It says that it goes from the driver's side to the PCI bus and that most people tie into the radio's harness with it.
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

ok, photobucket is being retarded and not working for me, but I guess we don't need pics of my connector since we have it pretty much figured out. Thanks for your help man. After I get these kiddos some lunch I'm going to go out and see if I can't get it moving. If I'm SUCCESSFUL I'll see if I can't get the passenger seat mounted in there today. Then I'll at least get the fronts finished up next weekend and all wired up properly. Today I'm just hooking it up all redneck like
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
ok, photobucket is being retarded and not working for me, but I guess we don't need pics of my connector since we have it pretty much figured out. Thanks for your help man. After I get these kiddos some lunch I'm going to go out and see if I can't get it moving. If I'm SUCCESSFUL I'll see if I can't get the passenger seat mounted in there today. Then I'll at least get the fronts finished up next weekend and all wired up properly. Today I'm just hooking it up all redneck like
Wouldnt expect anything less from ya

–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
XJH-007

I don't think you will be able to get the heat working on them...probably the power adjust but not the heat.

Some of those wires (dont remember which ones) feed the ECU the temp of the seats and it shuts them off when reaching a certain temp so they don't melt down. This is part of the MAJOR problems with the WJ seat heaters, the wires will break/burn and the ECU can't monitor the temp...so it will shut it off. To make it even more if a PITA there are 2 different circuits for the HI/LOW heat switch.

Uhhhhg......I've fixed my seats 2 times and the passenger side needs it again...

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
Wouldnt expect anything less from ya
hahahahaha......touche and thanks a lot man

as for the heated seats....I could really care less about those. They can stay unhooked. That's fine.
Unread 07-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

You can hook them up. need to put a ballast in. read about it on a dif forum, dif vehicle, but same concept. may even try a timer. anything can be made to work

–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
reeko
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
no...it just says that it's not used on the passenger side. It says that it goes from the driver's side to the PCI bus and that most people tie into the radio's harness with it.
Hi,

The pci wire might be for the memory position. Just a guess.

Did you manage to get the power to work ? Do all the motors work only with the 2 + and - wires connected ?
I was looking for wj seats to fit in my xj a while ago but I stopped looking after seeing the wj connector is a 10 pin while my xj's is a 2 pin, and didn't want to waste time trying to figure out what wire powers what...
But now reading in wjjeeps that only the 2 wires are needed to power all the motors of the seat makes me wanna try digging again But I want to be sure before spending bucks
reeko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.