Help Removing Steering Column - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help Removing Steering Column

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Help Removing Steering Column

Hi, I recently bought a 89 XJ with a broken steering column. The tilt broke and the previous owner drilled a bunch of holes in it trying to fix it which destroyed it. I plan on just picking up a new one at the junk yard and I was hoping I could find instructions here on the forum on the easiest way to remove and replace the steering column. My search didn't turn up anything so I was hoping someone may be able to help me out with a link to instructions. Thanks!!!

matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Too bad the factory service manuals aren't available any more...

It's been a while since I've done this but if I recall: Working inside the engine compartment, remove the bolt right at the firewall that connects the steering column with the steering shaft. Now back inside, disconnect wires. Remove 3 (2?) nuts that hold column to firewall. Next, remove the 2 nuts that hold the column to the bottom of the dash. Done.

Now, replacing the turn signal switch and/or ignition switch... those are LOTS of fun...
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Try jeepfsm.com factory service manuals downloadable for 8 bucks.its where I got mine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.