HELP! rear end knock in an 84 cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > HELP! rear end knock in an 84 cherokee

JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Taylorwoodham
1984 XJ Cherokee 

HELP! rear end knock in an 84 cherokee

So this story begins with me getting a hold of an 84 Cherokee for $600! The Jeep was advertised as having some rear end trouble but running fine otherwise. So, I go take a look at it and can't believe this guy only wants $600 for the old girl. Get it home and start tearing it apart. With the previous owner claiming the rear end was shot I was planning to just go ahead and swap for a bigger axle but decided to crack the pumpkin open to take a look at the carnage! To my surprise, everything looked fine! So I seal it back up and put some new fluid in it and take the jeep for a quick spin around the block. Upon accelerating from a stop there is a faint bump from the passenger side rear and when I go to stop it starts hitting HARD! the thumping from the passenger rear that is. So my question to y'all is what the heck is that and how can I get it to go away hahaha. And a bit of extra info, the previous owner said something about it leaking oil on the passenger rear tire??? My guess is the oil he was seeing was brake fluid and this knocking is coming from either my passenger rear wheel bearing or the passenger rear brake drum has something going on with it. Anyway, I'd love to hear what y'all think about this one. Thanks in advance for the help!

Taylorwoodham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
XJmallcruiser
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like the right side wheel bearing and sounds like the seals shot ... May need the axle replaced if the bearings real bad... had to on my old k5 blazer
XJmallcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If it has been leaking brake fluid, your RR shoe is probably shot and grabby and gumbed up. When you take off the springs retract and that is the "thump" your hearing. When you hit the brakes its grabs HARD. Pull the tire, pull the drum, look at the brakes. That is probably the problem I would bet.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
Taylorwoodham
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Drum good? Bearing shot!

So I pulled off the tire and drum cover to find a slightly rusted but still in good working order drum. After taking the drum completely apart and putting everything back together with lots of brake cleaner, I went ahead and pulled the rear pass. axleshaft. After I got it out it was pretty clear that the wheel bearing was DONE! I mean it was wrecked and shredded everywhere! But luckily the axleshaft seemed to be in good condition. Anyway I couldn't get the bearing off myself so it's off to a local shop in the morning with shaft in hand (that's what she said) to see if they'll pull the old bearing off and press a new one on for me (already have the new bearing and outer seal). Thanks for the input guys I'll let y'all know how it turns out!
Taylorwoodham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
XJmallcruiser
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Glad you figured it out... I figured thats what it was
XJmallcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee , knock , rear end , thump

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.