Help on RC AAl - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help on RC AAl

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
snuffandstuff
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Help on RC AAl

Im trying to install my aals on my xj but the description from RC sucks. can someone please show me how with some pictures and a write up cause i cant manage to find one on here.

snuffandstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 03:11 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

1. Remove the rear sway bar (this will not be reused).
2. Support the rear axle.
3. Remove rear brake line and install extended rear brake line (if needed).
4. Remove the u-bolts.
5. Disassemble the rear spring pack. The main leaf spring should stay installed.
Loosen any spring alignment clamps. Use c-clamps to clamp spring pack on each side of center pin. Remove center pin. Use vise grip pliers on center-pin head. Carefully remove c-clamps. Insert add-a-leaf into spring pack.
6. The Add-A-Leaf will go into spring pack in such a way as to maintain the pyramid shape of the spring pack. Insert new center bolt through the spring pack with the head on the same side as the old one (spring perch side). Use c-clamps to assist tightening of center bolt. Tighten to 20 ft/lbs. Replace the spring alignment clamps.
7. Reinstall springs and u-bolts. Don’t fully tighten spring u-bolts until vehicle is back on the ground.
8. Install longer rear shocks, if needed.
9. Install tires.
10. Torque all bolts to factory specs (or specs supplied with parts) and double check your work.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

I do it without removing the springs. Just support the vehicle, remove u bolts, loosen the clamps and center pin and drop the leaves down, put the AAl in the pack with long center pin and clamp down with a C clamp and tighten the center pin. Then just put the rest back together. Should take no longer than 30 minutes per side if you don't remove the main leaf.
ChicoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Redthirty2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

+1 for not removing the springs. I just installed my aal last week and I didn't remove the springs. Much easier just do one side at a time and use a jack to raise and lower the axle to and from the pack.
Redthirty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
snuffandstuff
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thanks guys ill be giving it a try this weekend
snuffandstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.