Help Question! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help Question!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 12-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Loveland-WJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Help Question!

Hey guys, I have a 96 XJ 4.0 4x4 auto.
Last night on my way home theSerpentine Belt (less then 6 months old) fell off. When I got home I had rad fluid spewing out and the reservoir tank was full. Some time later, I put the belt back on and went to start it and the belt fell off, right away, secs. Tried it again and the same thing happen... It happens so fast I can not see what pulley it causing it.

After doing some research ....I see issues with the Harmonic Balancer can cause this, but I do not think that this is my case. It's not moved forward or back. Belt is in-line.

My question is: Can the Water Pump goes out and cause this? My pulley for the Water Pump is hard to turn and feels grinding.

Let me know what you think...

Thanks Guys.

Unread 12-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
BlueBadger

Yes that is the problem. Time for a new water pump. Same thing happened to me in '07
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Loveland-WJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Great, Is this easy to replace...Looking it up now.
Unread 12-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Loveland-WJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Blue....Yep my Water Pump was seized. It was not that hard to replace pretty easy fix. My jeep is back on the road.
Unread 12-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
BlueBadger

Good deal man. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. If you didn't then it would probably be a good time to throw in a thermostat and flush the cooling system as well.
Unread 12-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
tsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

another fun one like this is a siezed alternator..... had the bearing fall out, shaft siezed, belt squealed
tsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
BlueBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsc
another fun one like this is a siezed alternator..... had the bearing fall out, shaft siezed, belt squealed
Agreed. And why in the world would they stick the main electrical item on an OFFROAD vehicle so low to the ground/water and have it to be that tight and a PITA to change?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.