HELP! Overheating 4.0 Cherokee! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > HELP! Overheating 4.0 Cherokee!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-18-2008, 03:23 AM   #1
Swiss
1997 XJ Cherokee 

HELP! Overheating 4.0 Cherokee!

The vehicle appears fine when using it normally. Tried to tow an empty horse trailer and it dumped its coolant on the floor via the catch tank. Past history shows a head gasket being replaced about 1 year ago. I was not aware of the electric fan working?? Where should I start? The temp gauge was not crazy high but approaching boiling point. Would it be right to assume that if the problem is not there under normal driving then head gasket is unlikely to be the cause and its probably more likely a cooling problem eg Rad Cap, Thermostat, fan switch, fan clutch etc etc. At what point should the electric fan be coming on?? I don't believe the A/C works anymore but it was switched on at the time. Any Help Thank You!!!

Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Towing generates a lot of transmission heat as well. Is there a Aux trans cooler installed?

If the elec fan isn't kicking on the sensor may be defective. You can bypass the auto controls and rig a bypass switch to turn on the fan.

May want to replace the clutch on the mechanical fan. This would be to help keep it as cool as possible.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I just went out the other day and got a eletric fan out of a 96 xj to put in mine to replace the machanical fan it bolted in pretty nice using 2 of the four holes from the original fan shroud used wire ties to hold the left side in then wired both eletric fan together and now temp is 190 and stays there even on a 95 degree day in heavy philadelphia sucky traffic used to hit 210 very quick on a cool day but i think this took care of the problem.I couldnt find the taurus fans everybody always talks about so i made do with the two stock xj fans.P.S. i put in a high flow water pump and a 3 core brass tank rad but it still got to 210
98muddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Swiss
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Help! Overheating

Thanks for the suggestions. I did set about installing a simple flick switch tonight but immediately ran into a few problems. The sensor in the thermostat housing appears to have two feeds. I thought it was as easy as a simple bridge across them to short the fan motor into action. It looks like it also feeds the dash temp gauge. The only way I got the fan going was to pull the plug of all together and then it burst into life. I am struggling to understand how that system works. This is a UK spec vehicle. Having gradually topped the fluid levels back up tonight I noticed some moisture coming out of the exhaust. I immedately assumed the worst but the water was very clear and pure. I am hoping its just condensation and I am getting a bit parranoid about head gaskets. The manual fan clutch appears free when cold but also free when hot, how does this items work???? Any Help appreaciated.
Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

When cold the clutch turns free. When hot there should be noticeable resistance when turning teh fan blade.

I believe the UK versions and the US sensors are the same. The aux fan gets a feed from the AC compessor line and the sensor on the Tstat neck. The gauge feed is off the sensor on eth back of the head.

You should be able to wire a ground switch to get the fan to manually turn on.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2008, 11:29 PM   #6
BIGRED99

I am having the same exact problem, the past few times I drive it short distances the coolant sprays all over the road, it just get so hottt and explodes everywhere. My mechanic told me I need a new head gasket?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3032898

Red Jeep Club #485
BIGRED99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
Cookies1995jeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

try changing the thermostat. did the trick for me
Cookies1995jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.