HELP! options to replace a radiator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > HELP! options to replace a radiator

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-19-2003, 11:46 AM   #1
89Cherokee

HELP! options to replace a radiator

Well my girlfriends 89 Cherokee started leaking a few days ago. We've had some cooling problems, but were doing good for the past month or so. But now the radiator is leaking. Its very slow, but enought that I want to replace it before she gets stuck somewhere.

What options do we have for a new one? I've heard alot about upgrading to the newer systems. What all is required for the conversion, and how much $$? Are there any good aftermarket replacements for the existing system, or would it be a waste to upgrade the closed system? Any good places to look for a replacement?

Thanks for the help

Unread 04-19-2003, 12:29 PM   #2
Dacaur
2008 MK Patriot 

here are two write ups on upgrading to the newer system...
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke.../radiator.html
http://www.dirtdevils.org/briantechtippage4.htm

or just replacing the current one http://www.ilovejeeps.com/tech/article.cfm?ID=24

99 WJ Laredo
2.5" Budget boost, 265/75/16 tires, K&N air filter
www.dacaur.com/jeep.html

Past Jeeps:
1992 YJ 4.0, 5 speed 6", lift 33's
1992 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1999 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1985 XJ 2.5, 5 speed, no lift, 255/70/15's
---------------
Dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2003, 02:24 PM   #3
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Along with converting to an open style cooling system as those articles show, putting in a GDI 3-row radiator would be the best and sometimes its even cheaper than the stock 2-row replacements. There should be a tech article for the GDI 3-row installation on www.jeepin.com

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2003, 04:48 PM   #4
RockinXJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

While you've got the radiator out, you might as well replace the water pump. It doesn't make the job too much longer, and it will only cost you about $25 from AutoZone. Be sure to have some RTV silicone sealant on hand too.

If you light a fire for a man you'll keep him warm for a day, but if you light a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life!

I ♥ Transitive Pictograph Verbalizations
RockinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2003, 09:25 PM   #5
STAN 92XJ
1998 ZJ 

http://www.jeepradiator.com/radiator...model=cherokee

$135 for a 3 row. Mine works great!!!

Good luck!
92 & 00 XJ-Sold
STAN 92XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2003, 09:57 PM   #6
Dazz

I soon will be replacing the stock radiator for the GDI 3 row soon.
This past weekend, I flush the entire coolant system, purchase new thermostat, added Redline Water Wetter, and check the Fan Clutch (still had resistant.) The driving temps still pegs out at 235 degrees F.~

Autozone has the GDI for $129.00 and in stock!
Unread 04-20-2003, 09:22 AM   #7
ronsurf69

overheating

Could be air in the return lines preventing colant flow. I had the same problem several times. You can either park it on a steep incline, nose down and fill it. Or pull the return hose at the radiator and fill the radiatior and the block. It worked for me.

What idiot designed a radiator without a fill cap?

Ron

89 square tail
ronsurf69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2003, 05:23 PM   #8
89Cherokee

Thanks for all the replies!
It actually hasn't overhearted for a while, its just a leaky radiator. We're thinking of just swapping it for the GDI 3-core unit and keeping the closed system, primarily due to budget constraints. Would we be making a mistake by not switching now?
Its been in the 90's a few times these past few weeks, and with the a/c on sitting in traffic the idiot light never came on. Hopefully the upgraded radiator will keep things cool on the 100+ days here in TX.
The best I've found for the GDI is $109 + $9 shipping, but I haven't checked with autozone yet. If they have it for $129 in stock we'll probably just get that and save the shipping hassle.
Unread 04-21-2003, 12:29 PM   #9
8inchXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I went to www.radiators.com and purchased a GDI 3 core for $120 shipped. Just make sure you know if you have an open or closed system. Works great, gotta drive it hard to get it above 210 degreses
Unread 04-21-2003, 01:18 PM   #10
RockinXJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

89CHEROKEE, what part of Texas do you live in? If you need the help, I might be able to drop by. LMK

If you light a fire for a man you'll keep him warm for a day, but if you light a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life!

I ♥ Transitive Pictograph Verbalizations
RockinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.