Help with noise diagnosis and tire sizing! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help with noise diagnosis and tire sizing!

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 06-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
BoharCornelius
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Help with noise diagnosis and tire sizing!

I bought a 1999 XJ Sport 2Dr recently, and have been loving it. However, a clicking almost like a quick metal on metal scraping noise has developed. It seems to happen at any speed, but is easily noticeable at slow speeds, especially when turning to the left. I figure it's the U-joint on the driver's side axleshaft, but I would appreciate a second opinion.

Also, the previous owner had Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac LT245/75R16, these are a bit more aggressive than I need, I only drive on the road, though I do need to be able to handle snow easily. So, any recommendations as to what I should get would be nice.

I would be open to trade those tires, with the wheels (Rubicon) they're on for a more suitable set. I have all five, with very minimal wear. Let me know if you're interested, and I can send pictures.

BoharCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
BoharCornelius
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Update: The noise was caused by a bent dust cover scraping against the rotor.
BoharCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.