Help no power at ignition switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help no power at ignition switch

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 02-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
DeanBray
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Help no power at ignition switch

I have a 1989 Jeep Wagoner Limited (XJ version basically a cherokee sport) that is having problems starting. I don't have any power at the ignition switch. I replaced the starter relay and a fusible link and reset the ECU. After resetting the ECU it started after 25 minutes. It started and ran good for about an hour and died again. I unhooked the battery and hooked it back up again resetting the ECU again and after 25 minutes had power at the ignition for a minute then nothing again. I have power everywhere but the ignition switch. Any ideas?

DeanBray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
ankah
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Hi Dean, did you figure out the issue? Does not sound exactly like my issue, but you never know.
ankah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Try this. can't hurt and could help. The "resetting" of a non-resettable ECU is puzzling.

I suggest unplugging EVERY electrical connection in the engine bay you can find, whether engine related or not, and spraying it out with a good electronics cleaner, visually inspecting the terminals making sure they haven’t retracted into the plastic holder, and then plugging it back together. There’s a critical 10-pin connector for the front lighting system located in front of the air cleaner and behind the left headlight assembly. Don’t miss that one. Also be sure that the connectors to the ballast resistor mounted near the air cleaner housing are clean and tight.

ALL of the relays should be removed, the terminals wire-brushed until shiny, and the receptacles sprayed out with contact cleaner. Then plug them back in. I do this on every Renix Jeep I purchase or work on for someone else.

Revised 07/23/2012

If you own a Renix Jeep, you should click on the following link to find some handy Renix tips.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cru...x-tips-153657/

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.