Help Needed - U Joint replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help Needed - U Joint replacement

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockRubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 06-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Help Needed - U Joint replacement

Guys
I have a 1993 2.5L XJ IN Sweden which has just failed it annual road safety check due to what I believe is a worn UJ on the passenger side front axle. I am located in California and my father-in-law is in Sweden and isnt so good at English.
I have never replaced a UJ before and my DD here is a ZJ with CVs so I have nothing to compare against.
What I need to know is how easy the process to replace the UJs actually is and what special tools do I need. I am going to Sweden later this week but I will need to bring parts and special tools with me as availability in Sweden can be very restricted.
Any tips, tricks or advice is gratefully received.

john

jt_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
chance_p
2008 WK 

Assuming you know how to pull the axle shaft (remove wheel, caliper, rotor, hub) youll need some flat head screw drivers to remove the retaining clips on the u joints. A couple large sockets and a bench vice to push the old joint out and new joint in. Then reassemble. Its pretty straight forward.
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for the confirmation. Hub removal etc is no problem - did the CV's on my ZJ last year. I plan to order part number 1-0174DG from Autozone -
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-izu21Z6o242

Not enough time to have any other parts delivered. if anyone can check and confirm this is the correct part i would appricate it.
jt_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.